Simucube 2 Pro and True Drive

Guys I’ve had a Simucube Pro 2 for a couple of years now and in relation to profiles for different games I’ve noticed recently that when looking at the online profiles that the FFB setting is no longer set to 100%. I’ve seen profiles which are as low as 35%. Is this the preferred option now because in the past I thought that it was recommended to set the FFB at 100% on in the True drive software then alter accordingly in game. Any advice please?

It’s, according to the Simucube 2 video tutorials, the other way around:
Set in game FFB gain first, then fine tune in True Drive. There are 8 videos from Granite/Simucube on YouTube. This is the link to video number 7, the one about FFB settings:

Also worth mentioning is that the reduction of slew rate to 1.5 Nm/ms is a good way to maintain a rather intense level of FFB torque without suffering from harsh spikes in titles like RF2. I recommend the following topic, especially what @Purple_Red, @Panschoin and @Andrew_WOT posted:

Maybe also worth mentioning:
Bare in mind that not every slider must be activated, adjusted or used only because it’s there.

It depends a little on the game used… and what you want to feel from the wheel… In iRacing you will generally want 100% and then reduce at the wheel strength to be able to have headroom in the system to avoid clipping on as many cars as possible. In some cases you may want to turn down TD to reduce spiking and extreme forces (but this is a personal choice as they bother some people not others). With iRacing though if you lower the Force in TD you also lower the force point where clipping will occur.

Turning TD down in iRacing doesn’t necessarily mean you are reducing power at the wheel depending on your Max Force setting.

In a Game like Assetto they use a Gain model… In this model you sort of need to figure out where the game itself puts out its best output. Once you have that you can adjust TD as needed. this would be a little harder as the cars don’t all necessarily exist in the same world so the gain base can be a bit different from car to car type…

The one thing to remember with FFB is that the lower the force the lower the dynamic range of the forces. This means that you may lose some detail feel in the feedback.

Personally because I don’t run games other than iRacing much I just leave it at 100% and then reduce in game.

I think that is the reason we see tweaks like AC’s range compression and Fe what @Mika wrote about a possible sort of boost slider in future TD releases.

My concern is mostly about the game titles themselves and those developing these. The vast majority is for casual gaming, a compromise between consoles and PC’s and also a compromise between controllers and steering wheels.

Then a lot of games are quite old; these were literally overtaken or overrun by the development of hardware. Some new titles suffer from the unchanged view of the gaming industry and the way they make games, see games: produce first class multimedia teasers, promise a lot, let the usual suspects hype it, sell it, sit out the shit storm, promise to fix, fix a bit and start with a new game.

Next point is the lack of communication: graphic card companies develop new technologies while a gaming company works on a new game. Somewhere else a company produces a new DD. Let’s assume they all reveal their work in August 24. It’s very likely they never talked to each other, don’t know about each others projects and, as a result, nothing really fits to the other. Even worse, they are maybe incompatible. There are standards everywhere. Everything is standardized, optimized, explained, fool proofed, certified…why not here?

Those who are very successful learned long time ago that success can be measured very differently, that profound success always comes with collaboration, pride to make something very good or even exceptional, the knowledge to produce sustainable, that an intact working environment can be a source of unbelievable creativity. Still there are so many who spend more time for obsolescence management, sometimes this obscene behaviour is driven from us, the customers: the Simucube 2 is 4 years old, where is version 3?? The rtx 40 series, worth buying it in 2024, or better to wait for the 50i series?? I have only 225 FPS at ultra, should I go for the product unicorn 6??

I do hope a wealthy competition will do its job, will sort out those weighed and found too light. We costumers have a part in these steps aswell: maybe we can become the calibration weight, that would be awesome!

Yea that all is really the whole tech industry as they also all fight for their own standards to be the defect standards… This is why we may never see something that goes around the way Direct Input works as Microsoft more than likely will not want to make a change to it unless they see an advantage and they control the gateway…

Signal boosting actually came in well before the DD’s but it wasn’t needed as much because most FFB was compressed. Linear feedback of course isn’t compressed and this is where we run into issues where signals at the low amplitude side of the line get even lower and sometimes disappear from being able to be felt the lower we go in force output. With non linear things are compressed to help this situation… Part of the reason why I suggest trying iRacing with non-linear mode if you are using low wheel output.

The problem with boosts as they currently are is What do you actually boost as a controller manufacturer as all you are getting is the 0-100% feed so what is a good range to boost… There is no information there to allow you to boost something specific so all it is is creating some sort of other curve for force delivery.

This is where Direct Input Effects Come in… This portal allows game developers when used to boost certain “things” or types of signals and then if the Manufacturer of the output device implements it then the user can play with how much these signals are boosted comparatively the originating signal… Generally for most game though these are used for add ins for effect rather than to actually improve the feel of the wheel.

iRacing uses NO Direct Input Effects but does initialize Damping which is why there are alot of complaints about not being able to “feel” what the tires are doing when you are running less strength to the wheel as there is nothing to boost that portion of the signal without going non linear.

Now this is where the 360Hz API depending on what information is provided will be interesting for SimuCUBE and future devices with regard to iRacing. The reason is that if iRacing sends the information through the API at 360Hz split up into the currently different Chanels from the physics it will allow a wheel manufacturer to use a certain portion of the Telemetry to boost certain aspects of the feed without affecting others overall with little to no real delay. Granted if they choose the wrong ones they can really screw up the FFB as well.

Currently the Accuforce with Sim Commander and irFFB use the standard 60Hz telemetry output to be able to do similar things which is why I say don’t use irFFB unless those are the things you want as there is a latency cost involved with this since it is coming from the slightly delayed feed that iRacing puts out mainly for things like Motec or Atlas or tracking programs… this feed was really never meant to control a Wheel Device directly.

@Purple_Red
I tried the following settings in AC with CSP and new TD release:

TD:
Full torque at 17.1Nm
Damping 2
Friction 3
Slew rate limited to 1.5Nm per ms
Constant force reduction 30

AC:
Overall gain:40
Road:10
Slipping:5

Car: VRC Alpha 2023, CSP, version 1.2

CSP:
New gyro on at 25
Output real steering forces to wheel: active
Peak force: 17.1Nm
Output real brake pressure from pedals: active
Max pedal force: 200kg
Max percentage to pedal forces 100%

Real Head Motion: on
Left/Right: steering axis
Up/down: brake/throttle

Steering feels from centre to max rotation just really saturated and rich. While driving straight it never gets weak, measly or so. In music I would say it’s a fat sound. Understeering isn’t stubborn, uncooperative anymore (because sometimes it is), understeering not just a snap back out of nowhere anymore.

The overall perception is a detailed one, no slugginess, no center that is accentless and devoid of details. For me it’s perfect

I thought that the new gyro is not adjusted anymore

1 Like