Simtronix SinCos Encoder with Small Mige and SimuCube

So you’re confident that sincos is a placebo? Otherwise why do you say that feel would not improve?

As about OSS - it’s up to you, certainly. My own brand forged by chinese for many years. But eventually it doesn’t really matter - if you’re stronger, you have loyal crowd - it beats low cost clones. If it was OSS - I would check code and see if I can implement support for abs encoder and high resolutions myself. When I don’t even see it - I have no idea and so based on what you say it’s probably won’t be done.

And I’m absolutely sure that competitor of Simucube is not some Chinese clone, but much larger guys like Fanatec. And how are you going to beat them? They certainly more than capable to do more attractive plug and play product. And directdrive is not a problem for them. And moreover - they have gamedevs support. Simucube opens up possibility for all those kits of different types from many shops - cheap systems, expensive, professional sims, public consoles. And they need platform that has community, features, which is future proof. And those guys can invest their time to do more features. This is ecosystem. No copycats can do such things. And Fanatec won’t play this game. So it opens up an opportunity. And ecosystem needs seeding and support. Convenient OSS is important here or large dev team with API, plugins and so on. And even then - people would be concerned that one day you will ruin their business by changing your mind or not paying attention to the project anymore.

It would be sad to see if big guys would win again while you’re afraid of some Chinese…

The encoder reading and interfaces are in the IONI source code, which for sure won’t be opened up at all.

SinCos is not placebo, but its additional benefits after 1M CPR and certainly after 2M CPR are very, very questionable, equally to zero. Keep in mind that directinput is 16bits over whole bumbstop-bumbstop range.

Additional benefit is ability to use this product from the market which right now is not going to work at all even if SSI would be implemented in Ioni. It’s btw would be great if Ioni had some kind of OSS plugin library for more feedback support.

And advantages of abs digital encoder vs sincos are listed above - I don’t know if you see anything wrong in what I’ve stated. Especially ability to use high TBW.
I just don’t see affordable abs encoder that is around 20-21 bit. I see 13, 17, 23.

I’m well aware that directinput positioning is limited. But it’s more about smoothness and reliability of motion itself.

Yes, but 2M CPR is smooth enough for a human would be able to notice the difference after that. However, when using a very, very high quality servo such as those Lenzes that are built for paper presses etc, one could perhaps be able to find a difference… when using a torque measurement device, in laboratory conditions.

Mika, 2M CPR is smooth, but it’s prone to EMI glitches and not solving crosstalk issue at all.

Mige now have two encoders available, 2048 Sincos and 21Bit BISS-C

I have the SinCos on order if anybody wants one, I have also ordered a few BISS-C to test

I would upload the datasheets if could but it doesn’t allow PDF’s

1 Like

I guess I missed 21 bit BISS-C. What’s the model name?

Baumer EFL360 BISS-C

Which motor is it on? EFL360 is for 6mm shafts… I have a feeling it should be 580 for Mige.

I asked the same question I spoke to them today it fits the their standard taper 9-7.5 x 15mm

Interesting, what was the price? And exact model number if you don’t mind.

The response was a little vague I will let you know tomorrow when I get in contact with them again, but I know that the SinCos if ordered with the motors to us is $60

I know sincos is cheap, I’m way more interested in abs encoder.

I have 10 on order with no price risky :slight_smile:

:smile: I assume it would be around 5000$ order for test

So @Mash please let me understand one thing, what is exactly missing in IONI (or SimuCube) firmware?
It has Biss-C support am I not right? Are you talking about Resolver kind of encoder support?
I mean if 2mil CPR is more then enough and only advantage of an absolute encoder is to remove EMI glitches and cross talk, can’t we simply use Biss-C?
Is it not an absolute encoder?

Tamagawa T format is not electrically compatible with IONI. Cannot be fixed by software.

We can use BISS-C, for sure - it’s a same thing. I didn’t found this encoder before, but honestly, it’s not mainstream solution if it will cost 500$ and you need to talk with their engineer to buy 1 piece. So I don’t see how it can work. I can buy it, 2 more guys, but I can’t honestly recommend anyone such solution and so it won’t stick.

If T-Format is not electrically compatible - it’s a bummer, but I honestly don’t understand how is that possible, because t-format is RS485 electrical interface.

There is no RS485 on the encoder inputs on IONI.

By the time I have paid duty and shipping the BISS-C would cost around £250.00 but there is a minimum order qty so unless there is huge interest it’s not going to be feasible to import them