Simcube Pedal price

I see it from the side of customers, as I am one of them.

Found some feedback from reddit users who tried it at SimExpo

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew! I went through the posts, and it’s mostly about TC and ABS. None of them is available (or better said I don’t use it) in the cars I drive. I also don’t have a clutch pedal, I think just for starting at a rally it’s not worth the money. I can put the clutch to a button.
So for me personally these pedals aren’t this important. I wonder how many of the games available can deliver the information needed, or if this something that you get anyway (is the source telemetry data?).
What you think about the weight and size in regards to possible flex?
I remember good how we questioned our crystal balls to tell us the future. Now, that it is here, and became present, I’m feeling strange. Not at all what I expected

Looks like some high end pedals with tactile can still be the best of both worlds, natural movement of pedals not impeded by motor spindle and telemetry effects delivered either to pedal plate or directly to pedals.
There is also interesting rumble motors based kit mentioned in that reddit thread, for $100 total it’s probably worth a try. I have tactile under the seat and it really adds a lot to immersion especially for titles with poor SOTP effects like DR 2.0 or ACC.

iRacing makes available a Boolean when ABS becomes active. So the Active Pedal is using the same channel to pulse the ABS ffb based on the frequency and amplitude you set in the GUI. So whilst you can tweak the ‘tactile feel’ of the effect, the start-stop of the ABS event s defined by the sim. I find it very helpful for on-the-edge barking in GT3 cars.

Of course IRL, different manufacturers use different frequencies for their ABS pump pulsations, but one can assume it is between 15-25hz. I did some research and found 18-20hz is quite common.

I set my pedal to be 18hz and around 30% signal amplitude, and it feels 99% like my Mustang would if it activates ABS.

1 Like

Yes, saw this too!! And read about the technique. Also interesting!

3 Likes

i personally think the simracing space is becoming a joke, we have 6k+ pedals sets now, 1.6k+ steering wheels etc etc, all to play computer games, the price gauging of consumers is disgusting in this industry now,

Unfortunately, this. I honestly don’t think there’s much of anything to gain from basically a pair of HE Sprints - yes you can spend all you like but ultimately pace comes from technique. Obviously I’m for industry innovation (or I’d be pretty stuck for things to write about!) but 99.9% of the time you’ll find more pace working on your technique. SC2 Pro, a set of good pedals, a proper rig and frankly you’ve got all the sim racing you’ll ever need!

And thanks ever so much for sharing my article - really appreciate that!

1 Like

Definition of price gouging; Price gouging refers to when retailers and others take advantage of spikes in demand by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, often after a natural disaster or other state of emergency.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-commerce/price-gouging-state-statutes.aspx

1 Like

I enjoyed reading it! If I am not totally wrong we also met on FB, in the simracing community. And, because I know Manni and Mike, I regularly check your website. We share a passion :wink: Always interesting stuff, I also love the way you write (English isn’t my first language).

1 Like

I can’t imagine that the guys of Granite do such stuff, you are not exploiting people, nor do you take advantage of catastrophies where maybe even people are dying. All your products are within normal price range, especially when we take quality into consideration. I therefore think that the price of your pedals is sure based on serious calculation, and not on greed. Let us be respectful and choose words carefully.
There is nothing wrong with spending 1’800 bucks for a limited wheel, carbon, display, up to 6 paddles and lasting for ever. It’s also nothing wrong to buy a 200kilo priced car. If it is something you think it is worth it…do it.
I myself wouldn’t buy the pedals because I race cars without ABS and TC, and because the price would make me waiting for reviews and long term testing results.

Very interesting. especially because of my car mechanic background. Fun fact that should be pretty much the exact frequency of a Bell UH1. About 20Hz.

The log file I used is very old. I only used a trial month… January 2021. The data set comes from a Lamborghini GT3 at Spa.

The way I chose is that I pulled the frequencies from the telemetry FFB. So from the irFFB. A 20Hz frequency is placed on FFB.

Greetings,

I will agree on some of what you had said but will disagree on other things.
First off, while they are very expensive, they did not price themselves out of the market.
As an example that i used in reply on the iracing forums is that i am an audiophile and have an acquired taste for high end equipment. I go to shows and listen and see equipment that is priced thousands above what i can afford. would i love to have it, sure i would. I never will but SOMEBODY in that 1% of audiophiles will, and thats where they make the money. The same applies here with the pedals. The 1% will buy and that is great. Would i like to buy them? I sure would but i never will and that’s just the reality of it.

About wheels and rims. I personally don’t think they should put resources into a more personal/subjective area than pedals or bases. Wheels/rims are too much hit and miss and the most personal/subjective item in sim racing. To many variables. Some like thick grips, some like small grips. Some like alcantara, suede, and some like leather or even rubber. Display or no display. See where i am going with this? Too wide of margins to get it right for this type of company. Maybe a button plate, but again, lots of choices out there and they already have one.

Just my opinion as well.

Have a great day

They have :taco: wheel (highly unpopular) and introducing new one as well as formula wheel in collaboration with some other company. Which is just a waste of time and valuable resources if you ask me, just improve on what you are doing best (wheelbases), market is already saturated with much better wheels for all tastes and budgets.

It’s just a question of time till Granite will have a full product line with everything available and needed for Simracing.
You can’t risk of doing the opposite of what competitors are doing: if a company “X” sells a steering wheel to a customer, and this costumer is very happy with it, he will tend to get also other hardware from you. If you don’t have anything to offer he will buy from company “Y”. Next, shifter, “Y”, because “X” had none. Sooner or later you will loose him as wheel customer, Aso Aso…
I would set up a full product line, a “don’t worry we have it” strategy. Plus a “if you really think you find something better then you can always pair it with our products” extension. We won’t stop you from mixing, if this is what you want.

This is exactly why they are collaborating with outside sources for wheels so they don’t have to take full resources and developement to bring them to market. I really doubt we will see a full Simucube line of wheels developed exclusively by them. I could be wrong but i just don’t see it

I really like the GSI/Simucube wheel, a lot tbh. Think they are all gone, I assume they could have easily sold 4 times as much, minimum.
When it comes to steering wheels customers are picky, but if you meet their taste it’s worth its weight in gold

1 Like

Ha, I spend about 1hr in the rig at GD HQ when Tero and the team showed me the 1st iteration of the Active Pedal, and then I sat tweaking the effects a bit until it felt like my Mustang IRL.

So I settled on an ABS frequency of 18hz. After this, investigated a bit deeper and realized my butt-o-meter was very accurate, as I ended up smack bang in the middle of the usual actual ABS pulse frequency used in cars. Funny that.

But yes, I was amazed how accurate the ffb on this was, still surprised every time I test GT3 in my rig. Totally new opportunities opening in with these, can’t wait to see what comes next.

1 Like

You are assuming everyone race to win, as the final goal. Not true. Quite many are there also for pure immersion, but anyway, from my PoV, the Active Pedal brings reliability, accuracy and immersion, all in one :slight_smile:

Having tried most other pedals, including my most recent DIY Hydraulics, nothing comes close. Talking from first-hand experience. If it’s worth it to anyone, only they can decide - for me, this is the last pedals I feel I ever have to buy.

Truly game-changing stuff.

3 Likes