Scientific research with SimuCUBE

Dear GD team,
dear Simucube community,
I’m a researcher in the field of robotics and my colleagues and I are exploring the possibility of using SimuCUBE for research purposes. We are trying to understand better the capabilities of SimuCUBE and we were wondering for example if we can get a measure of the forces feedback to the user. Moreover, it would be good if the force exerted by the user on the steering wheel and/or on the pedals could be measured as well. In practice we would like to use commercial signal acquisition tools to acquire the input and output forces.
Thanks for your help.

You can do the first part but
" Moreover, it would be good if the force exerted by the user on the steering wheel and/or on the pedals could be measured as well"

That in a nut shell is the holy grail of the simracing world. :slight_smile:

From what we know, to measure actual forces exerted to the motor shaft by the user, a torque sensor would need to be used to have the high-fidelity measurement that is usually wanted. One can only approximate so much from the motor current sensing, although it is enough to control the motor in a precise enough way for racing simulator related usage. IONI measures the current, but to get actual force value from that, additional math would be required.

Of course, a pedal force can be measured by a load cell and related load cell amplifier circuitry, and that is actually what the most high-end sim racing pedal sets do.