SC2 pro possibly overheating and losing FFB

This is all very interesting. Can you tell us the serial number of that unit? This is the first report of this kind and getting on top of this is high priority.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll be back home in a few hours to have a look. I must be a special no lifer case aha, it has had an unhealthy amount of use. On the flip side my muscles are growing muscles :muscle:t3:.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi! Could you do couple of tests so we can figure out what is causing the heat?

1. how warm/hot SC2 gets if you let it just sit power on and torque active but not being driven for 60 minutes?
  2. how warm/hot it gets if you let it sit power on for 60 minutes while torque-off button is pressed?

By chance, do you have infrared thermometer so you could check the temperature of back plate in above scenarios? With that we could compare numbers with our units.

BR Tero

Hi I do not have an infrared thermometer unfortunately but I could get one. I have just done 11 laps at Suzuka with M8 with above settings. Unit was cool too the touch up until lap 8 when the body started to dissipate heat, 3 more laps and some areas of the back plate and main body were slightly warm as to be expected. No unusual behaviour whatsoever.

I’m now sitting in the pits with torque active and receiving signal from iracing an have been so for 15min now. The body has cooled down and is cold too the touch. The very top of the backplate has a tiny amount of heat in it.

Not very scientific I’m afraid but I will leave on for another 45 mins and see if there is a large change in temp. Thank you for looking into this.

Scenario 1 and 2 both presented cool temperatures too the touch. I have an infrared thermometer arriving tomorrow so I will be able to share more detailed results then.

In the meanwhile I’ll do some more laps in the M8 and monitor the temps by touch.

Just turned in 18 continuous laps at Suzuka with M8 and on T2 lap 19 the FFB died again. Rear plate, motor casing and front mounting bracket are very very warm. iRacing FFB at 55/25.

Yep, that should not happen. I have used similar settings with the M8, but around Spa, Gilles and Mt Panorama, Brands and other tracks, without the servo heating up much. Tero will be best able to advise you.

Cheers,
Beano

Thanks Beano, yeah I’ve used these settings with slight variations for nearly 3 months with no issues whatsoever. Typical timing, trying to maintain top 10 position in division 3 Ferrari fixed might become somewhat more challenging now aha.

Just curious, what is the temperature in the room where your cockpit is located?

Not much more than 18-20c right now. Could be a couple degrees warmer in the corner where the rig is located when on track. The room is bare brick wall with parquet flooring so it remains pretty cool in the summer. Plus I live in Wales :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Aha.

Can you confirm that both of the PSU’s are connected and that the small blue LED on the PSUs are on?

Both PSU’s connected correctly with blue LED illuminated on both units.

Yes I did not think that was the problem. I just wanted to confirm.
I remember hearing there is a heat wave going through EU, and that many do not have Air Conditioning.

Hi, I noticed that my Simucube Pro was just so hot in the last week and I didn’t understand why, or it always warmed up and I never noticed it or something strange happened in the last period.

I set up and ordered my workstation a week ago, also changing the power strips and putting a smart one where I only connected the 2 power supplies of the Pro and the one of the monitor.

tonight I removed the power strip and replaced it with a normal one and not a smart one. I did some practice on Ircing and noticed that the Simucube 2 was not hot. perhaps it is a case and I will do other tests. do you have a slipper or something?

@Mika can this be a reason for the @RedEye problem?

1 Like

Is there any progress on salving this,any info?

Nothing yet, I’ve been unable to race for a week now. I was on the verge of ordering an ultimate with special delivery from sim racing bay so I can race this coming bank holiday weekend and requesting a refund for my overheating SC2 pro but no one I have contacted has come back to me as of yet regarding that proposal. So it seems I have a long weekend with no racing to look forward too. It sucks.

We are interested in further analyzing your unit as well. The RMA and support process starts with the reseller.

Sweet thank you, my reseller is aware of the issue. He said he was going to contact yourselves 2 days ago an that’s the last I heard from him. I will send some more emails.

Just be boring and contact reseller. As you can see they are just waiting. And at least you have fast answer and help from them and with fanatec you will struggle. I still think I didn’t made mistake with ordering and waiting mine sc2 instead of buying fanatec dd2 what was on stock