Raceroom and Simucube 2 - original thread

I am using a SC2 Sport and I was absolutly not satisfied with the FFB in R3E. Sorry for my bad english. I hope You can understand it.

After a complete re-installation I did the following steps:

Step 1: I edited the simucube 2 pro.rcs file while I made a copy of it and changed the Device Name and the Device ID.

Step 2: I edited the streering_wheel.xml file. I copied the simucube entry, pasted it an changed also the device number and changed the following settings by turning false to true and vice versa.
alwayscreateeffects
supportsspringeffect
supportsdampereffect

Step 3: Turn on the game and remap the default Setup.

I only raised the gain from 30 to 40 and it feels great to me.

My TD settings are:
Recon: 1
Torque: unlimited
Damping 4%
Friction 3%
Inertia 5%
Sine Wave 120%

all others off or 0%

2 Likes

@SuperMonaco_GP Iā€™ve tried your settings. Thank you, they are definitely an improvement over my own. The thing is, I still canā€™t get rid of this overwhelming, artificial spring effect that keeps sending the wheel back to and then beyond centre.

I want to know exactly what the pure FFB signal given is, from the game to the servo.

Because Iā€™m old and stupid, Iā€™ve decided to do a little what the heck experiment named ā€œMan has nothing better to do on Sundayā€ and start from here:

.RCS file supplied by Sector 3 named ā€œSimucube 2 proā€
Silverstone GP Circuit
AMG GT3 with base setup and all steering settings reset (FFB multiplyer etc)

TD set with next to no filtering
(Recon 1 because I know Iā€™ll end up using 1 or higher)

In game FFB with no effects

The only two initial settings that matter to me are ā€œVertical Loadā€ & ā€œLateral Forceā€
Of course, with these at 0%, you start with zero FFB.
I can already say that you get an interesting amount of detail by raising only those two settings to 5%

The overpowering return to centre spring effect is back already with those at 5% along with plenty of oscillation but I donā€™t care about that right now. Iā€™m just looking to get the forces right, dial out what I donā€™t like with filters afterward and then add effects if needed (probably not).

Another thing Iā€™ve noticed is that just a small increase in vertical load alone massively increases the amount of rumble you receive from kerbs and jolts when going off track. Adding just a few % of vertical load to increase feel when on a straight will result in needing to look at the jolt magnitude setting as it can get pretty violent!

Iā€™m not back home till later on today but I want to pursue this for as long as it makes sense.

If anyone can see flaws in what Iā€™m doing, please let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Mika Do you have a suggested torque bandwidth limit setting that you think would be optimal for this game please?

torque bandwidth is not relevant if slew rate limit and reconstruction limit are set - especially the reconstruction filter.

Sorry, Mika but Iā€™m not smart enough to understand what that relationship is.

Are you saying that if the reconstruction filter is used at all, even at ā€œ1ā€, then the tbw becomes irrelevant?

Yes, maybe 1 is not high enough value, but soon after that (maybe from 3 onwards) there is no torque that has higher frequency than what torque bandwidth 2200 gives. This is why we want to remove that filter and replace it with more meaninfull filters such as new version of reconstruction filter.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing around with settings, based on reading this post on the sector 3 forums:

This is for a SC2 Sport and seems OK, but still not quite ā€œrightā€. Thereā€™s a bit of oscillation on the straights still but I donā€™t really want to add more damping.
Tested with the new Porsche GT3 @ Bathurst:

2019-12-15%2020_29_47-Window 2019-12-15%2020_30_13-Window

2019-12-15%2020_33_47-Window 2019-12-15%2020_34_14-Window

1 Like

Thank you. I think I understand now.

The higher the reconstruction, the less bandwidth is required.

Iā€™ve also spent a few hours with it today but the results werenā€™t good at all.

Lots of oscillation on the straights, even with TD damper at 40%. Adding in game damper in top of that did nothing at all for me, even at 100% :thinking:

This is where I ended up before admitting defeat. Quite similar to those of @Andy_Balcombe although achieved from a slightly different angle.

Donā€™t bother using my settings as I can confirm they donā€™t feel good. Just the best I could achieve for now :confused:

2 Likes

My settings for GT3 cars. It was fun to drive with theseā€¦ at least for me.
It was easy to catch slides.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting your settings. Did you select a new controller preset or are you using an existing one?

Also, are you using any of the Direct Input effects?

@Mika I know there has recently been a little bit of chat regarding communication between Sector 3 and yourselves.

Knowing that they never had a SC2 to work work with and optimise, do you think there is any possibility that anyone at GD will work on the optimisation.

It doesnā€™t look like they are going to receive a unit anytime soon for whatever the reasons may be, so wouldnā€™t it be logistically easier for GD to have a copy of R3E to work with?

I wanted to also ask if you have had any chance to give the game a try since the update? It feels fundamentally broken to me but there are others that say itā€™s not too bad so it would be great to have your initial impressions if you get the chance at some point :slightly_smiling_face:

I know this type of thing canā€™t be expected to be near the top of any worklists you guys have but I thought Iā€™d bring it up.

Thanks

1 Like

Dampening, friction and sine on 100%, others 0%, and I used th new controller preset.

1 Like

Hello
did you test ?
Sinus wave 100%

Vertical load 120%
Lateral load 120%
Kerb vibration 40%

And
20% damping
5% friction
5% inertia

My settings on simucube 1

There was one email today. It is unlikely that we will be able to react in any way before first week of January. Me and our development rig will be out of office most of this week as well, so there is no time to test Raceroom. We do have a copy.

3 Likes

No problem. Thank you for providing an update.

Try not to return with too much of a hangover in the New Year :crazy_face:

Cheers for the settings. Tested them with GT3 and GT4 and they work really well for me! I tweaked them a bit. No min. Force, Slip 20%, Kerb 40% ingame.

FFB in TD 10.3 Nm (41% as always) and ingame 100%. Will see how damping works for me, as I have it set considerably higher for now. As of now Friction 9%, Damping 50%.

Thanks again GPVizer!

1 Like

can anyone tell me what I should change in Mmos 2014 with argon + Lenze engine I no longer have FFB after the update of Raceroom, other titles do work such as ACC, rF2, Iracing ā€¦

thanks in advance

hi, you should post in the raceroom for sc1 thread