New Mige BISS-C Encoder

It comes with the correct cables, but Mige only puts connectors on the Motor side of the cables.
You must put the connectors on the other end.

Hi,
Iā€™m thinking on upgrading to BISS-C encoder. Currently, Iā€™m having a 40k cpr encoder. Basically, Iā€™m satisfied with the current encoder, Iā€™m only having one thing, which bothers me. In Assetto Corsa, the road noise in some cars is weird. It feels like a electric buzz. Iā€™m curious, if it a limitation of the 40k encoder, or AC.
Easy to reproduce this.

• Car: Porsche Boxster S
  • Track: Brands Hatch GP
  • FFB gain in game is 43, and 100% in Simucube config tool
  • Small Mige
  • Reconstruction filter is 1
  • Increase the road noise gain to like 7 or 8

Is that feels similar on BISS-C, or better? If no change on this field, I would rather skip the update now, and save this money for a future motion sim. :slight_smile:

The buzz effect you describe affects SinCos, too. Must be quality of AC and DD wheel, not the encoder.

Thanks! You saved me some money!

On the topic of road effects feeling like electrical buzzingā€”I did find that using Reconstruction Filter of 3 or 4 helped make it feel more natural even up to about 15 percent on road effects. Not perfect . . . but usable.

Alan

Although that desnā€™t mean that upgrading from 40 to BISS-C or even sincos isnā€™t worth it.

Yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing right now. Iā€™m using reconstruction filter 3 mostly. But besides of the buzz, everything else seems better on 1.

Iā€™m sure it does worth it, but right now, I have thousands of possibilities to develop my ā€œrigā€. That buzz bothered me mostly. So I can re-prioritize things now.

Turn off this canned effect! Problem solved :wink:

Thatā€™s not a canned effect. It is the gain of the road noise. Anyway, I amplified it only to show you the problem easily. Iā€™m keeping it 0, but some cars are doing it without the amplification as well, like the Tatuus, if I remember right.

Well, by design and the limitation of the simulation it has to be actually canned.

Why? Because simply the road noise in real life is due to the roughness of the road. Meaning all the small stones in the tarmac that generate those vibrations on the tyres, then transmitted to the chassis.
The simulation canā€™t handle that with a 500hz engine: a tick at 500hz is 5 cm for a 100kph speed.

Lord Kunos:
That is not entirelyā€¦ accurate:

The ā€œroad effectā€ is totally coming from the physic engine, itā€™s amplifying the effect of load changes on the FF, so if the load doesnā€™t change (ie, the road is flat) you get nothingā€¦ itā€™s not a procedural noise added over the surface.
Slip effect is also coming from what the tyres are doing so, again, itā€™s strictly related to what it is happening.
The only effect that is 100% ā€œcannedā€ is the curb effectā€¦ as it is also happening on curbs that are 100% smooth.

From here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/from-the-facebook-thread.22763/page-437#post-652288

Actually, probably thatā€™s what the buzz is: a 333Hz (almost)square-wave signal, as Iā€™m on ā€œunlimitedā€ bandwidth, and lowest reconstruction filter. Or better said: spikes. And to make it ā€œrubberyā€, I really need some filtering.

I just received a Mige (15015) which has a DB15 soldered to the encoder cable. TBC whether the pins match SImucube specification.

Cheers Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes it is nice that they are sending the cables with the DB15 soldered on now.
That is one of the things that people did incorrect quite frequently.

To date I have not received any that were soldered incorrectly.

Talk later,
Joe

Asking this question for a friend who just upgraded his 40K to Biss-C 22-bit encoder (from Tomo)
He is saying that the entire feel is much lighter at the same motor power settings, and he thinks heā€™s lost a lot of fidelity.
Could this just be that the 40K encoder was very ā€˜rawā€™ and too ā€˜joltyā€™

He says everything feels almost too smooth.

Appreciate any input.

Yes he lost the twitch of errors. He can lower the Recon Setting on his system to gain back some of the noise, You can also usually reduce the main filtering as the BiSS higher resolution allows those filters to be applied more accurately therefor making them more effective.

Thanks Brion

What do you mean by reducing the ā€œmain filtersā€?
Are you referring to the ā€œdamping, friction, inertiaā€ in the Simucube Config tool?
Heā€™s currently using 1.00, 1.00 and 3.00 respectively.

Thanks

The main drive filters are the Damping, Friction, and Inertia filters in your SimuCUBE Profilesā€¦

Which size servo does he have and what Reconstruction is he running?

small mige, currently running 2 filter reconstruction
1.00 damping
1.00 friction
3.33 inertia

hmmm, anyway he can try 1 on the recon, and I would probably start by reducing the filtering to half of what he currently hasā€¦ Basically it is going to be a bit of a new process to find a ā€œfeelā€ as dynamically things have changed with the new encoder.