Metallic or grainy type noise inside wheel when turning after long use

Ended up having the weekend off for the first time in a while, no funerals, no work, and nobody bothering me lol. So this morning, I spent quite some time figuring out settings. ended up very satisfied with the way everything worked out. If anyone would like some actual data on how to avoid this, instead of your setting is wrong, figure it out, PM me.

Thanks to all that helped.

2 Likes

If you have a solution, please share it. No need to be so secretive…

Nothing to share. Simple settings, and TIME invested. Simple as that. Doesn’t matter anyways. All for nothing since I didn’t save each tune in the software. Rookie move. All I have is my base tune, which is enough for me to start fresh, and save each tune/per car. I complained about a noise, one induced by settings. I was told to change them, I did. Problem fixed. Really don’t see anyone else posting about this, so apparently i am, the only one… Did you experience the noise as well?

1 Like

No! I am still waiting for my SC2 Pro to be delivered. But i am very interested in these product problem/issue threads because i tend to give my hardware hard time with a lot of driving so thanks for the heads up with this kind of problem. If i get to that i will know how to get out of it… :+1:

Ok so after more testing, its seems like it is all in the settings. The settings vary based on car, gt, f1, indy, etc. They obviously all will feel very different. The settings I started with, although at that time felt great, caused the sound so it seems. I have since ran the recommended settings above with some changes here and there. If you are in lets say, the CUP Porsche you can easily run 100% power with high torque mode,reconstruction filter from 5-7, my damping, friction and inertia are all at roughly 20-25%, static force reduction is 0, and that’s basically it. Nothing more.

For INDY, F1, I caved and reduced overall strength down to 54-64%, everything else, maybe a change here or there based on your wheel and feel preference.

For Mclaren -Ferrari GT3 I have same settings, however overall strength is set in the 72-78% power range. I find this fun and manageable over lets say 30 something non stop laps at sebring.

However, new issue, running above setting. I will check site to maybe save all time but, I am now getting a sudden “SPONGE” like sensation when in the middle of a corner, happened sooner with 100% power then it did at sebring with 70% and 30 or so laps. Basically you will be in the middle of a corner, you can feel the load/inertia from t he car then suddenly power seems reduced to wheel, and just feels sponge like. The normal feel may return in the middle of the corner at various times or back to 100% but, seems to increase with constancy. When I touch the wheel base, it is warm to the touch.
It has never really felt warm before.

The power supplies are plugged into their own power strip, that goes into a battery backup, then into the wall itself. This almost feels like a power shortage issue suddenly happening. After 35 laps at sebring and ugly 2:03’s in the Ferrari GT3 it started to happen. At lap 38 I no longer felt comfortable practicing due to the inconsistency in feel thru random corners. I have checked all plugs, looked for updates, I don’t see what can be wrong on my end.

Am I overheating something?

Plus side is, the original metallic or grainy type noise I originally heard, is now gone. :wink:

Are you experiencing clipping with those cars at that force level?

By my description if that is what you would call it, yes. Been reading about clipping the last hour. Will try some *new settings, again. Back to the drawing board I guess.

My Simucube 2 Pro just developed a metallic sound and very bad feeling running rfactor 2 on recon off, directinput dampening 0 and the other filters quite low.
It did not do this for the first 10 mins of use with these settings.
Now it does it the minute I start.
Nothing else has changed.
So it seems to me that running these settings damage/change the motor in an irreversible way, like some coils have been damaged.
I can ease the filters to help it, but the point is that something has changed in the motor.
I can NOT make it go away for rfactor 2 now, with any kind of aggressive filters.

I would not expect to have to use recon filter in rfactor 2, since it’s not running ffb at 60hz.

Any advice on how to “get the motor back to original shape”? Or did these settings really damage it?

Recon Filter at 1, at least, is a must for every profile. Then you tune up Recon to get rid of the grainy feeling

I see that is an oppinion, but should recon 0 damage the motor?

1 Like

no, but reconstruction filter at 0 will just make it feel and sound very grainy.

First of all, thank you for trying to help me out!

But my point was if this has done any damage or if I can make it behave like it did before I used recon 0:

"
It did not do this for the first 10 mins of use with these settings.
Now it does it the minute I start.
Nothing else has changed.
So it seems to me that running these settings damage/change the motor in an irreversible way, like some coils have been damaged.

Any advice on how to “get the motor back to original shape”? Or did these settings really damage it?
"

1 Like

It seems like rfactor 2 is very prone to make simucube 2 produce metallic resonance & that this is REALLY bad at recon 0. Maybe even so bad as to cause damage to the motor?
Or is this not possible?

my 2 cents on that matter
I guess recon at 0 will make any motor sound grainy and noisy because the ffb signal you get from the sim is not filtered and is as raw as it can be.
just try it with iracing and it will be even worse, because its ffb signal is just 60hz.
I use recon 3 with rf2, it is the minimum value for not having noise. in the same way, I use 2 with ac, 6 with r3e and 4 in acc. I have never set it under 2, even when I had an OSW.
all this to say, I see no point at all in having it at zero. filters are there on dd for a purpose, use them.

1 Like

Thanks for the input!

The issue is that now when I set it higher in rf2, like for example 5, I notice the metallic noise/resonance when driving still, just much less.
I am not sure if I just did not notice that before or if that too was introduced by having run at recon 0 for a little while.
In rf2, do you have any kind of brief metallic resonance on fast, small forces too?
It seems its the small & quick ffb’s causing it.

My Ultimate makes more noise than any of my previous direct drive wheels (Bodnar, Lenze OSW, Accuforce), the sounds you’re hearing are normal.

There was at least one use case of corrupted profile that was ignoring recon settings.
Try to delete your existing rf2 profile and make one from the scratch. Might work.
And you need at least recon 1 to silence motor.

1 Like

This is the post Sound from simucube 2 pro

Thank you so much guys!

It is indeed the sounds from the movie clip at 5:36 I hear too when recon is at least 1.
At recon 0 it just becomes pretty crazy & feels like it’s breaking.
I was posting since it seemed to start occuring only after maybe 10 mins of driving at recon 0.

But I must say that I love the wheel. My first DD coming from TS-PC racer & what an incredible upgrade!

The same thing happens to me with my new sc2 base, I have to raise the reconstruction filter to the maximum so that it disappears, the manufacturer says it is normal, for me it is very uncomfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRiFzYtwPHU&ab_channel=CARBALLOSergio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwvonq7HJg&ab_channel=CARBALLOSergio