Metallic or grainy type noise inside wheel when turning after long use

All good, it will be this weekend for sure :wink:

Hi Tommi,
I am 99% certain this is default noises coming due to the shortcomings on sims vs the speed/power of DD wheels (around center-position). I doubt very much there is any mechanical issues at all.

Let’s see what OP says about unpowered state …

1 Like

Thanks, I will try that.

Hey Ladies and Gents, sorry for the lapse in response. I have been all over the place, and haven’t spent too much time on the sim. I have came on here a few times to write a novel like response but, deleted each one. Basically, I am a little frustrated with the settings and how far off one car setup can be to the next setup. For example, I have to test drive a car/setup before I hand over the wheel to a friend or a newb(at sim) just so they don’t end up with broken wrists, or worse, break my sim ;). I went from being able to adjust the simucube software, then in Iracing, I would be able to make small changes here or there. Now, every thing I do on simucube software, in Iracing, i seem to have little effect with any of those settings. SO my simucube settings, need to be perfect, which takes a lot of time backing in and out of the sim.

To answer your question, no, the sound does not SEEM to be noticeable in the off condition, only with certain settings. But certain recommended settings, are just too extreme or too dramatic of a feel(tank slapper steering or super rigid steering). I understand the Porsche car setup, may feel great but, as my original post stated, I am not in a Porsche, I am in a front engine 3000lb vehicle, with large front wheels, and a power steering system that isn’t LIKE that of any of the new electronic power steering systems out there on todays market. So to me, the feel was off, given the setup. Yes, the P car felt great, although steering FEEL, was a little too weighty(heavy). Miata feels fine too but, also a lighter car. Still, I am willing to adjust with advice.

I am no sim setup expert obviously but I have a technical mindset(aviation and automotive background). So that is why I was curious to what was making the noise inside the servo(which can also be felt). Its a pretty loud SNAP. ANyways, if nobody wants to answer that, cool. Just warranty it for me if it ever becomes a permanent issue. :wink:

Last, if “I” am the problem here, which I am cool with(i make mistakes), maybe have a generic setup listing for each car? Use an actual picture, as I provided, instead of just putting make this change or this change… I would think It would save you guys the trouble of having to respond to someone like myself, if it is, user error. Since this started(the noise, then changing setups), I am having a realy hard time getting the feeling back that I once had since I am now so all over the place with settings. Anyways, just wanted to respond instead of leaving a void here.

1 Like

If you want help & answers, you need to be specific. You need to show those settings, screen capture of TD tabs and also the game settings visible here. Then you may get answers to your specific questions, otherwise you do not get answers, perhaps a lot of guesses and/or text and questions to you but no answers.

You seem to have Simucube reconstruction filter also set to off, which explains as to why you will feel certain notchyness and/or noises.

I would have to rig up one of my gopros with external mics, which are all wired to my actual car. I can try and do something with a phone or a friend but impossible to record and drive at the same time. I am a retired technician so I have spent half my life diagnosing and repairing problems in the automotive and some aircraft. Will work on the sounds vids.

Scroll up, pics of settings are there. I read, and followed the posted response instructions, and felt better in some cars, took care of the noise but in other vehicles it was a death trap.

It is not by any means recommended to run with reconstruction filter = off, especially in iRacing, due to the low 60Hz update rate, which results in the grainy noise from the wheel.

1 Like

Since then, I have tried a few different settings, and now I am all over the place. It would be cool to have a series of recommended settings, for various types of cars. Mid engine/rear engine/ etc. The amount of time I spend trying to get a feel right(i work 12 hour days) by the time I actually race or am ready, the time that has gone by, it is just starting to feel more like work, than actual training/fun, which is why I bought this. I understand, that their will be some changes and adjustments that I will need to make but, I am basically having to back out and make changes for each car, everytime.

Not trying to be a douche here, just trying to spend more time driving and not fixing what I have lost. I understand to someone like yourself(yourselves) these might be quick and easy adjustments. Not in my case unfortunately

I am pretty sure that was turned on after the first recommendation and has been on since, I believe. I will try and get on tonight and check.

Set it to 5, tell us about your observations after that.

Furthermore, I am not sure how experienced you’re with different real cars in real life, but as far as I know, the different cars you drive in the sim, are meant to feel different, and each car has their own settings, not only the outlook changes but also the settings and these differences in the feel are meant to be so. Not so that each car feels the same if you are after that. It is likely not achievable.

4 Likes

I’ll check the setting, thank you.

In life, I have been very fortunate to drive lots of vehicles at speed at tracks, ownership, or rallys… From Classic Panteras, to exotics(lambo-ferrari-porsche-etc), to modern day ACR vipers and vettes, to Ultima GTRs(one), I have driven. I understand chassis/engine layout should and will feel different. That isn’t what I was referring to. Settings should only feel different based on weight(tire size-etc), or layout based on engine. Steering FEEL, or the WEIGHT of the steering wheel, is my main issue, other than the tank slapper feel(we can talk motorcycles here to if you want…) lets say when I go from one car to the next(P car-to indy). Usually I would , in Iracing, be able to just pull some force nm out of it or back in, and let the software handle the rest. Now, the changes in Iracing have no effect unless I change max force, which I do not change that.

Basically, if someone could post their picture setup for a few VERY different cars, maybe that will help. I am sure this is user error, I am sure I am looking over something but like I said, now I am all over the place with the FEEL, that I can’t seem to get it back. Once I feel I get the feeling back, I go to take a corner in the vehicle and it’s like I am trying to maneuver a motorcycle from the back faring instead of guiding in from the handle bars… its just too rigid. What setting would THAT be to pull that out, in simucube software? If I keep that setting, and jump directly into an idy, like the older (79 i think) indy car(or modern for that matter) I have a wicked shake in the wheel that is just ridiculous. AGain, I am sure this is all me,…which is why I am suggesting a page/post/sticky for setup pictures, from GRANITE.

Really just want to get home and run laps without feeling like I am back at work. Thats all fellas, not trying to be a dingaling here. I appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

I Smoove. I don’t have an SC2 yet (OSW large mige -> SC1 large Mige -> Accuforce v2…SC2 Pro coming in batch 3) but I know what it feels like to be frustrating with things like FFB (whether it’s from wheel settings or other aspects of general FFB technology like Phillip alluded to earlier), physics, etc. but don’t give up :grinning:

Have you tried resetting SC2 and iRacing settings back to how you liked them and then only changing a single thing? If not, how about doing so and only then change recontruction filter from your 0 to, let’s say, 2 and go from there?..

1 Like

Hey Spin, thanks for the pat on the back and words of wisdom. I have indeed gone back I think right after my first weird experience, and as mentioned above, I felt like “i lost my feel” since I was used to one, then tried this seemingly new setup that on that car, seemed great, went back to another car and have since been chasing the perfect feel.

I just have’t spent that much time on it since then, just due being busy in life, and truthfully knowing that i’ll have to F with my settings every time I want to run a race. When I have time, I guess I will just start naming and saving setups in the software and just find and upload each car I guess. Thanks for the attempt. Cheers.

How u doin? Still not happy? I didn’t quite understand your last message. Have you gone back to using the settings that you liked before and worked good for every car?

Took some time off, sorry for delay. I haven’t been on here in a while, has there been a sticky regarding suggested settings? Reason I ask is, wheel still feels great but, depending on which car I am in, I could have a dramatic amount of wheel shake, like a tank slapper. I am away from my sim so I can’t answer questions regarding that until later perhaps.

To recap:
Certain settings caused a noise/sensation in wheel
I was told it was my settings.
Changed settings that fixed that however, caused secondary effects like above mentioned tank slapper, or a ridiculous amount of force depending on which vehicle.
I was curious if there is a recommended setting list? To save time so I, and my guests can have a better experience driving different cars on different tracks without having to test to see"if safe" before someone has a bad time. Haven’t been here for a while so I will check the site for something like that.
Very much an amazing piece of machinery, just need to get some of these settings narrowed down a little better to enjoy it a little more.

Ended up having the weekend off for the first time in a while, no funerals, no work, and nobody bothering me lol. So this morning, I spent quite some time figuring out settings. ended up very satisfied with the way everything worked out. If anyone would like some actual data on how to avoid this, instead of your setting is wrong, figure it out, PM me.

Thanks to all that helped.

2 Likes

If you have a solution, please share it. No need to be so secretive…

Nothing to share. Simple settings, and TIME invested. Simple as that. Doesn’t matter anyways. All for nothing since I didn’t save each tune in the software. Rookie move. All I have is my base tune, which is enough for me to start fresh, and save each tune/per car. I complained about a noise, one induced by settings. I was told to change them, I did. Problem fixed. Really don’t see anyone else posting about this, so apparently i am, the only one… Did you experience the noise as well?

1 Like

No! I am still waiting for my SC2 Pro to be delivered. But i am very interested in these product problem/issue threads because i tend to give my hardware hard time with a lot of driving so thanks for the heads up with this kind of problem. If i get to that i will know how to get out of it… :+1: