iRacing 360Hz FFB with Simucube 2

It will be the signal that currently exists in the iRacing, but played with much less delay due to not requiring the telemetry memory map (which has a delay) and the irFFB as the middle man.

1 Like

Thanks Mika

Oh that’s great for the IRacing people.
Then you also have the standard 10-15ms and a smooth signal as in rFactor2.
Just out of interest. Do you know how many additional ms have been added by irFFB to 10-15ms?

From iRacing, when we get data directly, we can get to approximately 1/60s = 16.667 ms delay, and the USB communications take a 0.2 ms delay on top of that.

iRFFB as a middle man adds a lot more (roughly 14ms due to Windows timings, from having to read the telemetry memory map.):

4 Likes

Good update, cheers Mika. I’m anyway ready to test, when you have something :wink:

As this requires experimental implementation from iRacing, any testing will be within the iRacing alpha / beta testers + at our office.

Very interessting!
I measured something around 15ms in MOTEC, so latency between 60Hz and 360Hz. So very close to your 16.6ms. For irFFB I “measured” 28.6ms.
What will be happen to the Reconstruction filter?

I don’t think that you can feel the difference. Atleast the latency…
But the signal will be very smooth, even without the Reconstruction filter.

most likely it will need even less reconstruction, and we are considering re-tuning that filter also. But will need driving experience to decide what to do…

I longer time ago realised that the “2” is even very good without any recon filter. It really depends on the title, the car and the hardware.
I don’t say it’s the best you can get when everything is off. But to me, even 1 or 2 percent damping does make it a bit clumsy/like wrapped in cotton. A little bit of friction can be really helpful though. Inertia only disturbs the balance of my wheels.
I never had oscillatory behaviour, only with very high friction (when testing dynamic filters for WRC). And I think I’m not wrong that using static force reduction can be of great help.
I myself don’t need much filtering because the Simucube 2 is really an absolutely great DD, just in her unchanging guise.

I stopped using iRFFB years ago because of the additional latency. It impacted me ~0.2s /lap. We’re all a bit different wrt latency, some are more sensitive to it than others. Unfortunately, I’m in that group.

Understood. I can ask David Tucker if I could be part of beta -group for this. Let’s see.

will the new 360hz add any telemetry effects like irffb can? iracing ffb is awful without the added oversteer and understeer effects that irffb can generate

Our plan is to add telemetry effects later on when we get the major software update that far.

I do enjoy iRacing’s FFB very much, the other titles are vague in my opinion.

2 Likes

what’s the difference between reconstruction filter and irffb? beside the added telemetry effects?

i’ve never really understood how the reconstruction filter works, is it the same as fanatecs interpolation?

irFFB reads the telemetry memory map, extracts the 360 Hz data from there, and depending on settings, plays it to the wheel instead of normal FFB, or interpolates it or the normal FFB and plays that to the wheel.

Reconstruction Filter is to do with interpolation, but we cannot know whether or not Fanatec’s interpolation filter is implemented in the same way or not.

hi @Mika , is there still any movement on the 360Hz path? Last I got from iRacing was a simple “nothing yet”, so hoping this didn’t get backburnered! Maybe time to remind the iRacing team how badly we want this? :slight_smile:
Thanks

I think they were busy due to holidays and getting the S4 update out; now they should have some breathing time to implement new things.

1 Like

David says he’s actively working on this and it could make next season! iRacing Authentication
@Mika would that line up with your next firmware update?

We will make it available in a firmware update, when iRacing has gotten it to work and we have also had a bit of time to test the stability of the feature.

3 Likes

Not trying to bug you for a timeline, but how’s it going?

Also is this even worth it? Does it feel any better?

iRacing is slowly working on it. No reported progress to us that we would be able to pass on.

The FFB feeling will be better with higher fidelity data.

1 Like