IONI edge connector specs for ARGON interface

IONI to ARGON interface

I use IONI drives in my low voltage applications, but I want to upscale the design to the ARGON. As such, I want to design an interface PCB to slot in to where the IONI would normally sit, which then connects via ribbon to the ARGON input 26 way IDC etc.

Do you guys happen to have any PCIe 98way edge connector specs you can share with me, as I can’t quite find all the necessary dimensions for the gold fingers etc.

Many thanks for any help.

Dan

Hi Dan

If you want to control the Argon via ionicube, it would be much easier to make a break out board for the pin headers on ionicube.

Kind regards,
Esa

Or just have the Argon on the same Simplemotion bus with its own bus address.

Hi Esa,

What benefit would there be controlling the Argon from the Ioni cube?
Interesting topic, but I am confused as to what the end result would be

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe

I assumed you wanted to route step/dir/pwm signals from the IONI pci-e slot connector to the Argon as you mention the 26 pin IDC connector, which doesn’t have simplemotion pins in it.

The point making a break out board for the ionicube pin headers would be that you could switch between IONI and Argon, or basically any drive that uses traditional setpoint signals to control the motion. However, the corresponding axis IONI slot would need to be left unpopulated.

Kind regards,
Esa

The reason for this wish is that I use IONI on a system I have developed, but I want the option of removing the IONI, and plugging an interface PCB in instead, to control the ARGON. The pic shows the control stick, and the drive unit with the IONI installed.

Hi Joe

Nice looking project!

You can check pci-e mechanical specifications e.g. from here:
https://www.multi-circuit-boards.eu/en/pcb-design-aid/pc-pci-boards.html

The pci-e is a standard and IONI follows those. You can find those specs from multiple sites.

IONI pinout can be found here:
https://granitedevices.com/wiki/IONI_connector_pinout

Kind regards,
Esa

Hi Esa

Thanks for the Multi-CB link (I use them every now & again) - It’s more useful than the 40 page Intel pdf I have! I have all the IONI pinouts, as I’ve already designed the system around the IONI, hence the want to transpose it for the Argon, which I have working nicely, but with soldered wires. I think the Multi-CB page gives me the 1 dimension no-one else identified, so many thanks.
Dan - www.mega3.tv

Hi Esa,

Not my project. It is Dan’s.

The reason I asked what would the advantages be of controlling the Argon via the Ionicube is that I still have stock of both, and they have been sitting on the shelf for a while.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe

PCIe card I hope is now complete (OrCAD).

If I need extra drives, I’ll check with you. I currently have a stock of 15 or so Ioni - but only the 1 Argon, for testing. I’m showing the Argon system hopefully in Feb, and may have interest for a supplier to Tokyo olympics. Can you email me a stock list to dan@mega3.tv, please?

Hi Joe

The ionicube was my assumption that since IONI is used, it’s usually used with ionicube, not custom motherboard.

Kind regards,
Esa

Hi Dan,

I will see what I have left and give you a shout.