How to get rid of cogging in recon filters below 8?

I’ve tried really hard to make this work, but the notches just don’t seem to ever go away.
With the e-stop on if I turn the wheel using one finger there are 40 ‘bumps’, so I put a value of SinCOSx10.

Changing the compensation current does nothing, neither does changing to Cosx10.

I’m guessing for MiGe motors this is redundant, or I’m missing something.

Perhaps what I have is ‘ripple’, I’ll try that

Why are you using Sincos setting if you have a BISS C?

They are trying to tune cogging compensation settings.

Very interesting, I missed that one over the years!
I will have to experiment.:grinning:

Interesting - bear in mind you probably need to hit ‘Apply’ or whatever after changing the settings. (Can’t remember as its been months since I last did it, and I don’t have Granity to hand to check) Sin/Cos(10x) is correct if you have 40 notches on a small or large mige. What compensation currents have you tried?

If you are feeling notching with the e-stop engaged, then you are feeling cogging - ripple is only when the motor is under torque.

I am really confused. I could never notice any cogging or ripple regardless of the sim I was playing (no iRacing yet) or when I just had the motor powered on and turned the wheel. Even if I turn the shaft without an attached wheel there can’t be felt the least cogging. It is totally smooth -always!

And now people are saying that it is quite normal to feel cogging even with a Biss-C encoder (which I have)?

Small Mige / SinCos: I could only detect some cogging without the wheel attached (rotating at hub). I get different results with System powered (safety enabled / cog count = 18) vs. system un-powered (PSU off / cog-count = 24).

Upon testing, I tried x4 / x5 / x6 (0.1 increments) to be sure I had all relevant ranges covered however, I could not detect any substantial difference in cogging, whether using Sin or Cos, so I abandoned the session.

1 Like

I thought in granity when you make changes they are instant, otherwise how would we feel any changes in parameters?
If we have to actually save the settings before we feel them, that sounds like a lot of saving!

I’m guessing that after morOSWer had the same results that perhaps the cogging changes might be motor specific?
How defined were the cogs/notches for you? Were they very noticeable before?

Yeah I can’t remember if I needed to apply on each change or not, should be pretty obvious though…
It’s definitely motor dependent, cogging was quite apparent when not under torque on my AKM, can’t speak to the Mige’s. If you can feel any cogging though you absolutely should be able to feel the compensation make a difference.

In Granity you have to hit the save to non volatile memory button on the very first tab right hand side near the bottom. This is the same page where you initially connect to drive.

You should also save your drc before you start making a bunch of changes. That way you can at least get back to where you started.

Apply settings is enough, no need to save each time.

Ok. So apply in Granity between adjustments to see how the adjustments work?
Then save at the end when you disconnect?

If that’s the case then I have been doing it all wrong.
I’ve been counting the notches and using the formula adding Sin/Cosx10 and then adding 0.1A of compensation, but assumed that these changes would be felt without having to hit an apply button between each 0.1A increment to notice changes.
Perhaps that’s why there’s no change when I chose Sin/Cosx10 and added 0.1A+/- compensation?

I’ll check it out now.

Yes - you haven’t applied the changes, so you won’t have felt any difference. Hit apply on each adjustment, once you are happy save as per Joes comment. Apologies for not being clear about this, I wrote down my description from memory.

You only counted 18 notches in 360 degree full rotation?
We have the same motors, how could we be so different?

when I have the e-stop on, using a very light touch with 1 finger I could detect large steps, but there was a little ‘notch’ right in the middle of these.
Not sure if I’m supposed to count these little transitional notches between the bigger steps?

Ah, that should explain my non-results (not applying).

@GlobeSpy I didn’t count the small ones, half the time I skipped right over them due to momentum but that may be due to rotating at the hub. I’ll try again when I get some time but, the high number was 29 and the average ended up being 24 cogs per rotation (System not-powered at PSU). Powered result was 18 - pretty consistently.

Yeah the apply settings button is normally at the bottom of the page. I do not remember if it is on every page?

I always Save to the non volatile just out of habit. Once you have setup hundreds of systems it is a habit thing.

Some settings changes require the drive to restart. If when the drive restart process starts if you get an error message and it wants to keep restarting, you have likely made a bad setting choice.
Go back and change the setting to what it was before and see if the drive will re-start.

I could feel the cogging much better once I applied changes (26) but, my drc had some friction applied initially - which didn’t help during my first attempt. I ended up with -0.01 Cos and checking for Ripple-current turned up nothing so I left that at zero.

Thanks for the assistance once again guys. :wink:

Glad you’ve had some success, you will notice less cogging once the motor is under power naturally, but you should use the cog count determined when not under power for the compensation function.

Do you notice a big difference in how smooth the wheel feels under power with your compensation function now? It’s a very minor current 0.01A - perhaps Mige’s are less susceptible!

1 Like

You are correct; the Mige motors are much smoother than most of the Kollmorgen motors in this regard.

That reminds me @Mika - prior to the SC2 launch you were talking about a motor comparison, and publishing the results. Is there any chance this data can be shared now?

1 Like