First projects with Granite Devices driver?

Hi Granite Devices Community. I would like to get started with motor control and have a couple of projects around the shop that I think are appropriate. The first is a drill press with 0.25kW 1 phase induction motor spinning at 1750 rpm that regardless of pulley position ( adjustable between motor and drill shaft ) spins to fast. I have a few alternators lying around that I could re-purpose ( external diodes pack ) with motor control or somebody can advise on suitable replacement motor with Granite Devices driver ? I have 208V ( 60 Hz ) shop power and 24VDC @10 although I’m not adverse to other power supplies. I have PC and PLCs with RS485 and believe that I can program SimpleMotionV2 using such ? Thank you, Nurber

Hi Nurber

Sounds like an interesting project.

If you current spindle turns too fast now, to what rpm are you aiming at?

As the power of a motor is the angular speed * torque, you might want to use higher power motor than the 0.25 kW in order to ensure enough power with the lower speeds.

Kind regards,
Esa

Hi Esa. Thanks for reply. Sorry for the delay in answering. I wouldn’t mind something 200RPM for certain work. Yes, good point as the power rating of included motor is at a speed much greater than what I’m looking for.

Hi

Depending on the highest rpm you need, you could consider a stepper motor with an encoder (to be driven in servo mode), or a torque motor that suits the rpm requirements. The latter are likely to cost somewhat more though.

Kind regards,
Esa

Thanks again. Yes, have read that steppers would be good as long as not driven too fast. Any good online “configurators” for determing appropriate steppers ? Would 500W be a good figure for stepper in trying to match original 250W induction ?

Hi Nurber

The motor selection is highly application specific.

As the motor output are low when the rpm’s are lowe, I would approximate the required torque that you really need for the low speeds and select the replacement motor accordingly.

Kind regards,
Esa