DiRT RALLY 2.0 and SimuCUBE

I have the large (25a) Migi running under SimuCube1 with the latest firmware installed.

Having used it successfully in iRacing for 2 years I got bored and decided to give Dirt Rally 2.0 a try. Downloaded from Steam yesterday and followed the instructions in this thread and the instructions on adding the xml file.

The game certainly sees the migi, buttons and wheel calibration set fine (450 degrees lock to lock). But I have a problem. There seems to be about 10 degrees free play in the migi which I know is a setting that I have wrong but which one could it be?

there might be a deadzone defined in the game for the steering axis.

Thanks Mika, no dead zone was set but I have with a combination of others settings managed to get a good working setup now.

Also the Simucube 2 thread for this game has relevant setting, especially for the in-game settings.

2 Likes

Decided to give DR 2.0 another go and spent some time tinkering today, hereā€™s what felt the best to me so far, along with a description of how I perceive each setting:

Simucube was set to 12.5A, 900, filter 1, unlimited TB, 100% direct input friction, 0% everything else.

Self-aligning torque - how strong the force is when the car is loaded up in a corner, increasing this without increasing wheel friction causes the steering to be very ā€œspringyā€
Wheel friction - Increasing this is like decreasing the Simucube friction setting - higher values make the steering stronger around the center of the wheel. I increased this until the wheel felt like it loaded up progressively in the right way, without being too bouncy.
Tire friction - Adds a gummy, rubbery feeling to the steering. Too high and the steering feels extremely vague to me. I used just a bit to give the tires a rubbery feel without making the steering totally vague.
Suspension - How strong the vibration is when driving over grass and bumps.

For adjusting the overall strength, I will probably keep the in-game settings the same because the ratio between different settings seems most important, and adjust the power level in Simucube.

Overall it must be said that the FFB in this game is pretty bad compared to many of the sims available these days. After reading this thread I wonder if I should give DR 1 another try and see if itā€™s any better.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t it possible to use softlock to apply the correct steering wheel rotation angle per car automatically? I already calibrated a few times but get always 900Ā° from SimuCUBE Tool setting. So I currently have to change steering wheel rotation manually in the SimuCUBE tool for each car like I have to do in RRRE.

Hello community.
Iam new here but not with dirt Rally 2.0 so i have an problem there you maybe helping.
I have try the tutorial from eksimracing with the 2 presets and the new commandline at devices.
My problem is i think i have no effect at the ffb its the same like before and other problem is i have hardware clipping in game.
Thanks in before for your help and a wonderful second christmas day.

Hi there. I have recently got an OSW/Simucube based mige wheel. Felt amazing in rFactor 2 out of the box, but I am really struggling to get it feeling right in Dirt Rally 2.0.

Couple of questionsā€¦ what is is MMOS? I tried using the settings on the eksimracing page, but I notice there are tabs for MMOS and Simucube. I think I should be using Simucube.

Is there a general consensus for good base setting for DR2 these days? I notice some examples have settings turned down in Granite Simucube settings, and DR2 settings (self aligning torque/wheel friction) seem to be quite high within DR2. I have then seen the complete opposite, so there are obviously quite different paths to take to achieve a result. What makes it harder, is I see some people post their DR2, but they donā€™t show what their Simucube settings are.

The biggest issue I had initially was a huge amount of ā€˜spring backā€™ when applying opposite lock. The wheel would return to center too fast/easily when straightening up from opposite lock. I reduced DR2 self aligning torque from 100 to 20-30 and this helped a lot, but then the wheel felt too ā€˜weakā€™ overall - like lacking wheel friction. I tried turning wheel wheel even up to 150 in DR2, but this didnā€™t make a huge difference.

I also canā€™t seem to fine which xml file saves the DR2 FFB settings. My changes are being saved, but I was trying to find out if they are being saved at a:
DR2 user profile level ? (my user profile in the game)
a controller device level? (<device id="{0D5A16D0-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name=ā€œsimucube_oswā€)
or if multiple settings can be saved for each device? (when you select your wheel in DR2 and ā€˜Load profileā€™) Or do these saved profiles only save key bindings rather than FFB settings as well?

I have looked through the files device_defines.xml, and simucube_osw.xml, but canā€™t find any of the FFB settings. Does anyone have any links that give an overview of how these xml files work with each other in DR2?

Hopefully I can get some feedbackā€¦ was surprised to see this thread has been inactive for the last year now?!

MMOS was a 3rd party FFB firmware that was made for STM32F4 Discovery board before Simucube existed, but Simucube was also compatible with it. MMOS did only have incremental encoder support - no SinCos or Biss encoder was possible.

I do not know about the XML files, but I do think the controller detection works for all Simucube 1 firmwares (MMOS and Simucube firmware) and for all Simucube 2 device models.

@Coro
Dirt 1.0 and 2.0 donā€™t has a good FFB and you can forget it to enjoy it with any steering systemā€¦
Maybe with a G27 or you ignore the FFB complete.
Dirt are miles away from the big FFB-Players like R3E, AC, ACC or AMS1.

Sorry, it makey me sad, too. All another parts off Dirt are phantastic.

Try Richard Burns Rally, FFB is very good with DD wheels in my opinion if we turn off filters in the game. Is for free. https://rallysimfans.hu/rbr/index.php

2 Likes

Hi
Thanks for the tip. WRC9 has a good FFB too. I have an extra wheel for rally, based on a Motamec if I remember good. WRC10 is not half as good, or even less. Itā€™s scandalous though that Kylotonn didnā€™t implement the possibility to use 2 shifting devices at the same time. One canā€™t use a push pull shifter together with a sequential one. Itā€™s one or the other. And that from the official (moves on again) license holder. I have difficulties to get a good FFB in dirt 2.0 aswell. Isnā€™t it from Codemasters, the new WRC developerā€¦

Sadly, CodeMasters struggled to provide convincing FFB. It seems they became so frustrated with the process, they just gave up and simplified effects to the bare minimum, sold it as being an improvement & more realistic in DR2 and called it a day on Rally Sim development, perhaps for good.

The WRC series can certainly provide decent surface details on gravel but, tarmac is still largely devoid of the type of ffb-effects we enjoy in other racing titles. There is a fine line and balance to getting the various ffb-parameters just right though.

So really, neither series demonstrates developer understanding of what makes ffb more effective in PC simulations. Even some mods within the PC Sim space (rF1 / rF2 / AC / AMS), demonstrate effective ffb on both tarmac and gravel, so we know itā€™s possible.

In the end, I suspect it just comes down to certain limitations (perhaps on the console development side) where developers donā€™t use such advanced physical modeling to provide that level of ffb. Itā€™s simply a matter of titles designed with quite different DNA, different priorities.

The King of the rally simulators isā€¦ Richard Burns Rally for me,100 times better than arcade like DR,WRCā€¦ etc. Virtual Rally Championship 2022 we have almost 1000 entryā€¦ https://rallysimfans.hu/rbr/bajnoksag2.php?b=reszletek&bajnoksag_id=164&nevezes_lista

1 Like

Hi Mirek
Thanks a lot for the link!! Very mindful. I already installed it but was late and me tired from installing power supply in my pc (1000 watts). A very close friend of mine changed his graphic card and gave me his Aorus RTX 3070Ti just like that!! Unbelievable :star2::star2::star2:
Asap Iā€™ll mount my rally wheel and give it a shot. Will give you a feedback. Thanks again!!

1 Like

I like RBR very much however, if I utilize any of the mods for it, I lose D-box motion support. So, Iā€™m stuck with bone-stock RBR only. Otherwise, it would be my Rally title of choice.