DD competition is heating up. How will Simucube respond?

Hope you are right and we’ll eventually see some grandiose revolutionary new features, as honestly last 3 years were a bit of a lackluster in that regard, in fact there was even some regression from reliability and usability perspective.

We are working on exciting things and new products will come out - but a new wheel base is not yet in development.

2 Likes

LOL, Logitech beat TM

LOL, guy is complaining 11Nm is too much.

Boosted Media review (great software coverage, wow it can do telemetry FFB)

You must have missed this one:

Simucube 2 and Simucu.be Launched!
WRITTEN BY: ADMIN | JUNE 4, 2019 | IN CATEGORY: ANNOUNCEMENT
We have proudly released all new Simucube 2 direct drive force feedback wheel base! Find out more details from all new dedicated Simucu.be web site.

Another massive threat to the Simucube 2…

No, not really a threat at all. Different market segments.

That was sarcastic, Mika…(you really think I see this as a threat?)

I don’t get this marketing guys. Why must there always be a race driver in full suit sitting in a rig with a wheel base?
Wouldn’t it be more serious seeing a normal person sitting in a rig and having fun driving with it?
:rofl:

2 Likes

It’s the same with car manufacturers: the roads are always empty. It’s the absolute freedom, you are either a king or a queen (depending on the target group). You always look handsome, unique. This is the car you need to make your life perfect :hatching_chick:

Thrustmaster officially joined the ranks

When I see all these products forcing me to get everything else also from the company “xy”, and how much this is mentioned and pointed to, I would think twice before I go in the same direction. Asetek, with its special QR, and without a single wheel with display is just one example. I think I now understand better what @Mika wrote about selling intellectual property. Asetek is offering different DD now, and these are products maybe based on some Granite knowledge.

Simagic Alpha Ultimate vs SC2 Pro.
Short version - virtually indistinguishable except excellent Simagic Interpolation filter smoothing out all noise but keeping every minute detail and of course their full ecosystem from wheelbases to wheels, pedals, handbrakes, and shifters.

Is it any surprise that the wheels are virtually indistinguishable when using almost zero filters to feel max raw ffb? Anyway, Simagic Interpolation filter and Simucube Reconstruction Filter are doing similar things by my own experience.

Main differences will be evident for those that want a more refined feel, I am one of those. Like BRM says, it is a very subjective thing, ffb, some is after max response speed, others-after something more. It depends your end goals.

Long term, question will of course be if problems come, will it be taken care of, how long will development go, how active is development etc. Just thinking out loud. Good that there are competing products to bring out the best in all Developers.

Personally, I am after a bit more torque than the std dd wheels can deliver, but that’s just my own preference. Everyone is different.

Interpolation and Recon are achieving the same thing, increasing resolution of the signal, but at least based on RBM feedback Simagic algorithm works better.
Where is our long promised Recon v2? :slight_smile:

You have to be careful with what this man says, on previous videos he said the same thing about MOZA, a few videos later he had put his SC2 back …

4 Likes

I don’t know if we are talking about the same thing, but it is certain that the versions of TD after 2020.10, are much more rough, before I could have a RECON of 1 or 2, without adding DAMPING, now if I don’t add DAMPING, I am easily in RECON of 4 or 5, to avoid feeling this grain in the wheel.

To come back to the SC2, even if the team could make a simucube ecosystem, it would remain too expensive compared to the competition, it should not be forgotten that the simucube is manufactured and assembled in Europe, which already impacts the price of the simucube.
Then I also think that the SC2 is a high end device, it’s like some cars, there is Lamborghini and Renault, but Renault only makes not bad cars…

Then comes the service! and I am very pleasantly surprised by the service provided by the GRANITE DEVICES team on this forum, during the week or weekend, I have a colleague who starts his SC1 and the team helps him by providing answers, they could simply tell him to move on to something else…

Now as many of you ask, if it is possible to improve the TD software then I can’t wait to see it, I also think it would be time to do it if it is possible to show once again who is still the king.

SIMUCUBE always copy, but never match!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 Like

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions, and for my use-case, I prefer using real filters available in the SC2 to provide a more realistic driving-experience. Beyond Race is after the fastest possible signal with the lowest amount of latency, then with that rough ffb data, there will not be much difference between a good number of wheels.

The power of the hardware and software is however evident once the filters are implemented. Nothing comes close to adding ‘filter-effects’ with the lowest possible latency and impact as the SC2.I have tested it against most of the current crop of the wheels, Simagic included, once you use filters, the SC2 stands out above the rest.

Like said, it all depends about what you’re after. Personally again, I just don’t find a 20 or 23NM enough for me. I really overheat them during endurance events. Hence me running a big 45NM pus servo, married to a SC2 Ult controller.

Anyway, peeps are free to test for themselves, buy what suits them best. I am simply giving another opinion and POV, vs BRM.

I just don’t get it, Philip: if I have a good to acceptable FFB signal coming from the game, all I then do is choose a recon filter between 1 to 3 (even no recon can be extremely good), I sometimes add some friction, just a little bit, static force reduction, that is it (of course I adjust the amount of torque I want to feel the FFB).
The Simucube 2 let me forget I am in a rig, it’s just pure, great racing.
If the FFB signal coming to the Simucube 2 is bad/terrible, there is nothing that really is helping me. I increase the level of torque…I have to filter it through damping. I decreases the level of torque, there is no need to dampen.
My conclusion is: the better the quality of FFB signal, the more the Simucube 2 makes the difference. Because of the absence of lag, the precision, hardware quality.
Bad FFB: the Simucube 2 will deliver whatever is there. Maybe other DD are as good as the Simucube 2. But I don’t see the need to buy a different product to find out a bad FFB is a bad FFB, even they do interpret it different, it’s still a bad FFB.
As soon as game developers will concentrate/focus on DD, that they have to bring up a FFB for DD users, we will be back at the point:
Whenever FFB is good, the Simucube 2 is awesome

Keep in mind that Beano and most of GD folks are exclusively on iRacing, with its low 60hz resolution spiky signal and no oscillation control. For them filters are essential, if you use 400hz ACC with dynamic damping for instance, you can get away with just Recon 1 leaving everything else out. Adding anything in this case just muddies the signal.

2 Likes

Yep, very good point by Andrew: I do test other titles from time to time, ACC, for example. But that is rather infrequent - I mostly run on iRacing and for that sim, I have not yet found a better wheel. The filters really help me resolve the clunky 60hz signal, whilst I see other manufacturers’ dd wheels really battle with oscillation, I can run bogey at 45NM and let go of the wheel, she never goes wild.

Why I really Iike the SC2 is because of the quality of the hardware, no other controller will give me the ability to have the torque that I am after, but the SC2 Ultimate on my Bogeyman is running more than 25% higher than what is available for the Utimate even.

So very good design overhead, barring premature component failure, the device will last a lifetime. And the software, imho, is a very nice compliment to the hardware. I know some guys are after certain effects, but I prefer the ‘pure’ ffb signal from iRacing, so no need for me personally to have additional effects.

Like said, guys, it is all subjective, we are all after different feel /effects - all good, as long as you’re having fun.

3 Likes