Argon Fault ID 120

Short question, an Argon with Fault ID 1 120, ID 2 0 - Short circuit protection triggered.

Is it possible that the device is fried or safe to assume the Argon survived (internal fuse is ok)?

1 Like

Hi McErono

You can check if Argon is ok by disconnecting the motor from the Argon and then turn Argon on. Argon will try to phase for a while. If during this Argon detects a short, then your Argon is damaged. This assumes that hall sensors are not use, since with them phasing is not needed.

Kind regards,
Esa

Thank you Esa.

He just tried without the servo connected. After starting the Argon he gets this message:

When he hits restart the message will reappear again and again. If he hits “don’t restart” the fault tab shows fault 120 again.

The LEDs at the back state:

LED’s: LD3 =LSS = Initialisation
LD4 =LLS = Permanent stop (need Device reset)

Hi McErono

If Argon faults to short circuit without the motor connected, then it’s quite likely that the power stage is damaged.

Kind regards,
Esa

Thank you Esa.

What do you think? Is it worth it or even possible to repair it?

Hi McErono

It’s possible to fix, and not that difficult. However, good soldering tools and tin removal equipment are needed.

If you have a multimeter you can measaure the resistance between Argon output phase to GND and HV. In practice, measure the pins 5, 6, and 7 against pins 1 and 3 from connector J4. If any of them is a short, the power module has a short inside.

If there is not short in the power module, then the issue lies elsewhere, and more testing would be needed.

Kind regards,
Esa

1 Like

I have the same ID 120 fault.
I have followed this test: https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Determining_Argon_hardware_failure

and there is not resistance betwen VN and U, and the resistance betwen VN and the others pins are mega ohms.

The kind of motor I have is brushed DC connected in U and V outputs. The main voltage is 140VCA
What can I do?
How fix this fail?
and why happened this?
I attached a image.

Hi Antolin

I’m sorry for the late reply.

If the VN and U are in short circuit, then the IGBT power stage module is damaged.

You can verify this by disconnecting the motor from the Argon, and then turn on the system. Argon will try to init the motor, and will give the short circuit fault if indeed the IGBT is broken. If not, Argon will give phasing fault.

Kind regards,
Esa

1 Like