Any Fanatec DD owners moved to SC2?

Would you be willing to share those settings?

Thank you @phillip.vanrensburg & @bsohn!

For your long & detailed answers, I finally have my question marks well covered!

Really appreciate it, big time, I learn a little bit more every time you guys spill it & this time, added to the prior times, I finally feel that I have the almost full picture in my head :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
I might be slow, but I know when to be appreciative :smile:

Thanks again,

Best, -K

1 Like

You’re welcome, and don’t worry, I have many ‘slow’ days :rofl:

1 Like

For which unit SC1, SC2, or DD2??

I probably should not post DD1/2 setting here so if you want to email me at simulation@penguinrc.com if that is what you are looking for.

if you are an iRacing member they can be found in the forums under the DD1/2 tuning thread in the hardware section to the SimuCUBE Firmware set-up thread, I think I have only posted my SC2 settings on here in the SC2 Iracing thread.

You’re welcome as well

2 Likes

Fanatec is teasing entry level CSL DD wheels.

Yea, Just got the Email… $350 US for 5NM (not sure how much extra the boost to 8Nm is going to be , but seriously if it is any good this will be a game changer for those that on’t really every want realistic feel of power… Granted with iRacing they will run into all of the normal low Power issues but in terms of being up against any of the other companies Logo, TM, ect… t will be pretty massive…

Just posted.

1 Like

At 8nm it might be ok if their version of the gamma filter is included. Combined with a light weight formula/gt3 style steering wheel I would think it could be pretty awesome.
I’m going to order when possible as it’s goot “sweet” written all over it imo :slightly_smiling_face: Hopefully they won’t crater it for me like GD by crippling the software, I will triple check that before ordering :slightly_smiling_face:

so you are changing to a brand that is known for even more crippled software?

But yes, inevitable that there would be such wheelbase for entry level as well. They will try to get the market before Logitech or Thrustmaster come out with such option.

We all know that the 5 Nm or even 8 Nm are not going to cut it to feel the details. The reduced inertia of the motor due to their carbon composite shaft, is just extra complications and cost - there is negligible inertia as the mass of the shaft is near the center of rotation axis. Their motor must be very weak to warrant carbon shaft.

And we all know how it went with slip rings on Accuforce. A failure point for sure.

3 Likes

Actually Mika I still have my Accuforce since 2015 and the slip ring has never failed me ! There must have just been few bad ones.

SimX even sent me a replacement slip ring which I still have - just in case !

But at 13nm my AF is lightweight compared to my SC2 Pro so I do not understand how the new Fanatec DD at 5 or even 8nm will be enough for a good experience.

If it’s crippled software I will not get it, that’s for sure.
I don’t know that I would fully change, btw, never stated that. We’ll see by then.
Negligible inertia should help towards the details, I would think. Inertia is a good filter to have for sims with ffb not meant for DD for sure, but it really just destroys information if the wheel base update frequency is high enough & the ffb is of good quality from a game, imho.
Btw, why would 8NM lose the details? Running SC2 on 8NM still has those details, it seems. But important to be using a light steering wheel.

Indeed, not all details are lost, it is just that with more torque you can more easily feel all nyances in torque during high-torque cornering, for example.

That is def. true. I do think a super light weight steering wheel will be the only way for 8NM.

For me, this is to rival top-end belt-drives, which offer similar torque (5nm) at a similar price. I think the 8nm step-up is a clear marketing strategy - I cannot believe a slightly bigger power supply would really cost 150 Euros… While 5nm (or 8nm) may be fine for wheel forces for many cars (eg GT3), but when you take the effect of kerbs etc - I am sure you will get some clipping even at 8nm. It is an interesting product. They have to make it inferior to their DD Podium series, or that product will collapse. Unless they have decided the market for 1000 Euro DDs is just too small, so are going to go for the larger volume 500 Euro market and accept that the DD1 and DD2 will probably crash in the market as a result.
Bottom line - I am very happy with my SC2 Pro. But if I were buying again I would consider this product, depending on what the reviews say and long-term reliability / build quality of both hardware and software (not a Fanatec strong point).

That is true at least for iRacing that 5-8Nm won’t really be enough to get all the goodness out of the signal the 13of the AF is really just barely enough… but it all depends on what strength you are running at the wheel… Regardless of if it is good in comparison to what we have with the SimuCUBE this will sell a TON gust for the speed of the information provided to the driver (Granted I haven’t driven one) but if it follows a true DD it will have a quick response time…

Now the interesting thing with all of this is that for a realistic feel you ave to have a certain degree of Static Inertia or a method like the Skew Adjustment in the SC2 to fake it to get a realistic feeling from a lightweight wheel.

I will say it will if it lives up to the basics of a FFB wheel be a Game Changer for the low end entry level wheels and they will sell a Significant amount… The question does become though will it cannibalize the higher end wheels as the standard line is xxxNm is more than you would ever need (while not true it sounds good) and I can see that happening at even the 5 or 8 of this unit. Which will cause many to just not look any higher.

I can tell you that similar power supplies of the SC2 cost 130-150€ each.

Thanks. I didn’t realise they were so expensive :grimacing:

1 Like

You are one of the lucky ones, I was in the first batch of Accuforces, everybody I know who owned one of those had a slip ring failure.

Six years on & still working 100% Simon ! But AF is in mothballs since SC2 Pro arrived :blush:

Tried selling it and no buyers but it is still a really good system so I don’t mind to keep it and probably build another sim rig.