AMS 2 loss of steering and FFB

Hey guys, you are my last hope. This might not even be a Simucube issues but I struggle for a full week, googled for 10+ hours and also reinstalled windows about 3 times with out any luck.

When playing AMS2 (it happens in AMS2 only) and changing focus to another app (alt+tab) my SC2 Pro loses all steering and ffb ingame. In Truedrive and Windows everything is still working fine though. So this might not be a SC2 issue.

If I restart AMS2 it works again until it loses focus again.

I tried 100% clean install of Win10 and Win11 and installed AMS2 fresh from Steam (no backup from external drive), tried it with and without Simhub but nothing makes a difference.

Did anybody ever had the same issue?
Thank you in advance

Game enters Pause mode/no ffb when screen focus is lost, but ffb comes again as soon as I enter to track

Itā€™s not coming back. Steering is dead (no turning possible), no ffb and I canā€™t calibrate wheel in game. Itā€™s completely gone until I restart the game.

Itā€™s getting weirder. This morning I hooked up my other USB wheel, and everything worksā€¦ wth?
I plugged in the other USB wheel again, and it starts acting weird acting.

How can a usb wheel intefer with the SC2?
Shouldnā€™t it be completly seperated?

Did you try a different USB Port, some boards are using internal USB hubs for some ports, but I know it is hard to figure out which are controlled by the chipset directly. Esp. many new low/mid end boards/chipsets (e.g. =already high price AM5 boards have only 4-5 of the ports w/o hub).

Also USB sleep mode could be a possible issue - search for ā€šusb sleep energy settingā€˜ to see how to turn itoff.

Thanks for your input. I tested all ports, replaced all usb cables, from all devices but the problem still exist.

I also disabled selected energy saving on usb ports but it didnā€™t make a difference (I donā€™t think itā€™s an energy problem since no device is really disconnecting, it still works fine in true drive)

This morning it worked for a an hour, but when i switch the wheel the problem is back.

In this moment Iā€™m installing joy2key to assign each usb device to itā€™s own joystick number. Maybe itā€™s beacuse Windows is changing portsā€¦

Itā€™s a long reach but I donā€™t know what else to doā€¦

Are you using SimHub Control Mapper? Disable if you do, there were bunch of reports recently on issues with that one.

No, I also tested the system after a clean install of the os without simhub and any other mapping tools installed and it behaved the same.

Are you using a custom FFB file? If yes try with the default or the opposite and see if this continues. I remember a couple of years back i had some similar issues with some custom files. Not saying that this is the problem in your case but since you have done everything else, it is worth giving this a shot.

Thank you, I never thought of the custom ffb. I use Daniel Kartā€˜s file. I will give it a shot when Iā€˜m back home.

I finally figured it out and maybe someone can reproduce it.

The problem is mapping of ā€œextra brakeā€ in AMS 2. As soon as I map an Input (no matter if itā€™s a controller or just a keyboard input) the wheelbase lose all function on alt+tab (or when AMS2 loses focus).

If I remove the mapping and tabbing out and back into the game SC2 is fully functional again. I donā€™t even have to restart the game.

I donā€™t know how this is related to each other but I can reproduce it 20 times in a row.
So Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the causeā€¦

I tried AMS2 yesterday to try the RX cars and had no issues with extra brake bound to my handbrake

Not sure if this will make a difference but I am running my game in windowed borderless and alt tabbing or open Chrome for example doesnā€™t cause me to lose FFB

Thank you, but it happens independend from the window mode.

I talked to two other Simucube drivers and they dont have the issue either.
Seems only to affect my system.

:checkered_flag: After 1 year I finally figured out whats happening. At least itā€™s working for now. I believe AMS2 has a device limit. If you use too many devices one gets kicked during the game. Since I combined my 2 buttonboxes with the Simhub Control Mapper to a single device I can map the handbrake again without losing FFB.

1 Like