SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

So i can say you would be in a state that you could restart update/flash firmware, as i could not answer because all other things i flash are never in windows only in Dos or
in Linux.When it comes to flashing a lot people hang back when in say WIN 10 know for bsod.
This was hard work for me asking this as been in pub all afternoon…As i sign off could i just say this is the best online communitie i take part in.

Many thanks all.
Tim.

Not many pre-release testers active this evening? I would like a few more testers before the release :wink:

I’m ready! Downgraded back to 0.9.4 after last night’s test.

• Thomas

I am up for round 2 it’s the uncertainty that keeps me going.
just one thing i will add i have had arond 5k views on my videos i do for the Oculus Rift group i am also part of, pushing VR OSW sim racing with Simucube as much as i can.Lots of people i talk to in reards to Sim racing just seem to be hung up on ffb, like when driving down a straight at top speed just are happy with the wheel going left to right with some sort of force even if i say thats made up ffb from game/title also so many never think about ffb going into a corner apart from the wheel shaking let alone mid and exit.I came from a Thrustmaster T500, and yes it was ok for a while.I had never been on a Direct drive wheel before i got my latest rig, It was like night and day, no longer spinning out at the same corner but making the same mistakes in corners that in the real world/on track would make with same car.When i had the last wheel setup i never got one reply from TM.

Many thanks to all the team and if i can help i will try my best.

T

All installed now for AC no directInput apart from 25% damping.

So 20 laps done on AC at Monaco with Formula Hybrid 2017 S1 and now i can feel more info under load into corners, so no spin outs with cold tyres and with the day i have had, more like a progression of ffb rising up from track/surface.
Next RF2

There should not be any changes to ffb feel in this release. However the code has been reorganized a bit, so I wanted to have a bit of a workout for you guys to test that everything still works. I think we found the two issues yesterday, lets hope that there won’t be any more.

So it must be just the Friday feeling with regards to ffb, just never not span out with cold tyres the placebo effect, apart from that everthing seems solid so far in AC.

RF2 feels great a lap round the nordschleife and all was good.
Many Thanks.
Just one last thing when i have used DI damping before in AC while car was stationery i could feel force on wheel when turning but my small Mige would make a tapping sound every 1/4 turn as i was rotating wheel, but now a more grippy feel as rotating wheel with no tapping from Mige?

Thanks for reporting. I think the 0.9.6 is quite close to release then! :wink:

In another news, me and @Tero reorganized the forum a lot regarding stuff related to SimuCUBE. We also set up a new category called Games, and moved game specific threads there. We will, in the coming days, set up the definite pinned threads there which will include all the most important settings.

This all was done based on feedback in the individual comments on our survey this week. Sometimes it is hard to see the obvious. We thank you all! :beers:

3 Likes

after a few hours of testing , all is very good so far.

firmware install was good, on my system 0.95/1.71 (r004) small mige , and in one friend 0.94/1.70 (r005) big mige

i like the changes in the user interface like the buttons and the “click here for updates” on advanced tab

this could be placebo but i tried the desktop centering spring and is better than i remember when it was first implemented.

Directinput effect works like expected, damping in AC, friction in Raceroom and Dirt rally , Spring on rF2 , Sine Wave in Raceroom…

all was ok.

export/import profiles works fine in the same system and between different users.

no changes on the FFB side, all is as good as it was!

we can not test buttons or axis funcionality, but UI seems clean and very informative.

you guys in granite devices rocks!

lets enjoy more testing , night is young…

2 Likes

Status update:

Found small bug related to showing/hiding the save to flash button. Then found out why I decided to not do that originally. Then I had a beer and fixed it.

No pre release testers found the bug even though it was pretty obvious…

1 Like

i still cant see the bug…

Hint: just add new profile. Can you save it to SimuCUBE flash without changing any settings for it?

Thats the beer talking

no, i have to edit something , if not, is grayed out

1 Like

You found it. Things like this I would expect testers to find. However, as we get close stable releases, we need to define some tests that have to be passed before release.

“Save settings to flash -button will only be enabled when user has changed some settings. This is to mitigate user pressing the button for absolutely no reason. This change will prolong the life of the SimuCUBE flash memory.”

Do we have to take care of the number of times we save to memory?

Is there Max or something?

well, I must have programmed my SimuCUBE at the office over 10 000 times already with no issues. However, the flash memory on the processor is certified to last for a minimum of 10 000 times, so there is that “official” word from ST Microelectronics. I don’t think anyone has ever reached a limit, though.

Thanks a lot

Regards