SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

seems that direct input friction is active “black dot” but not working on raceroom.

FFB is not giving resistance when car is stopped

That did not go as i thought, wheel vibrating like crazy with loud noise and pulling to the left with damping off also, i will reset system to see if any change.

OK, so it appears that something has broken the directinput friction and/or damping effects. Two testers have reported it now. I’m investigating it.

Bug has been found already. A new prerelease will come soon :slight_smile:

steering wheel is quite crazy on dirt rally…

:thinking::sweat_smile:

Yes after sytem restart the end result was the same for me with Di at 0% happy to help.

I’ve fixed the obvious issue with the friction effect - the torque of the effect was sent directly to output torque when it should have been sent to separate variable to be mixed later.

Interesting is that also reported is that iRacing is broken, and it does not use friction effect. I shall look at the damping effect code more closely…

Upgrade went smooth except that it turned the wheel a couple of turns and coiled up my cable which I have not seen happening on previous updates… Both AC and PCARS2 pulls the wheel to full lock and vibrates like crazy. R3E behaves and ATS / ETS2 plays as they use too. Also my wheel center has moved about 45 degrees left :S

• Thomas Marcussen

Sorry about that. pre-release testing can be an adventure…

I can second that good job for Mr E-stop and simucube strenght only at 40% i was ready for it.

Yeah, I can confirm that iRacing is also broken. Give hard left force until endstop. If I turn back, I get somewhat normal force to the right of the center point. This is really strange :slight_smile:

That’s the exciting parts of testing Mika - you never really know what’s gonna happen :slight_smile: I’ve learned from others mistakes and held the wheel lightly on the outside so could spin if need be, and had a foot on the e stop.

Much worse is that I broke one of my toes yesterday, braking during a race… better look into some sim shoes soon. Double clutching in ATS is really NOT fun today!

Keep up the great work!

• Thomas Marcussen

Those that want to downgrade, you can press the update firmware button, close everything when it says “found simucube in firmware update mode” and then use the 0.9.5 package again to return back.

Status report:

It appears that even the constant force just decides to output maximally large value for some reason. I will be checking out if something funny happens in the calculation. I’m also taking a look at compile settings of the project…

1 Like

Yes it seem to do that even at random intervals

Bug has been found and fixed. Now that I know what to look, I will go through the code again to be extra sure of similar issues.

A new pre-release will be on tomorrow evening.

5 Likes

The speed of the development of the firmware and application is off the charts. Good work.

2 Likes

A new prerelease build has been done.

Mika could you answer one thing that plays on my mind.I have been asked today, what would happen if firmware update failed due to windows BSOD while flashing, i only ask because i have had some friends thinking about an upgrade to osw but asking what fallback they would have if a bsod or power out?

On every boot, the bootloader re-checks the content of the program against a saved checksum value. If match -> launch actual SimuCUBE firmware. If not match, then it would just hang around in the bootloader (firmware update mode), waiting for a new attempt.

If the unlikely bsod crash happens when installing the bootloader (if it has to be done, i.e. SimuCUBE shipped with mmos or if user bought it as a separate component), then it might corrupt the bootloader itself. In that case, user can always force the processor to DFU mode via the dip switch, and then reflash the bootloader. I do understand that this is not something a general simracer would be used to doing, but it is infinitely more than one can do if similar flash failure happened on any commercial wheels, which would be “bricked”.