SMbus error counter increasing constantly

I had no idea about this.
I guess I am going to stick to mmos for now. I just can not figure out how to solve any EMI/ground issues if I have them.

Is there any way I can test the chrystal oscillators ?

No way to test without very accurate laboratory tools.

I am planning to buy a usb isolator and emi filter to try and reduce interference. Are there any specifications to look for when ordering such devices? I could not find information about emi filters - what should I plug in it ? Should I plug the PC or the simucube in it or should I get two emi filters and plug them both ?

Hello guys,
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but it’s been more than a year since I started fighting the EMI/ground loop issues that keep my simucube 1 disconnecting randomly when racing or when idle. I’ve been trying every possible solution I’ve found online while constantly switching from simucube fw to mmos (simucube to try and eliminate issues and mmos when I have league races etc. so I don’t have wheel disconnects while in race). So I tried various ways of grounding, I also shielded my power cable which was not shielded (that actually improved the situation a little). I checked the encoder cable and it is shielded - but here I have a question that araise because of the way the shield is connected. So the shield is soldered to the 15 pin connector on the simucube board side and it is also connected at the other end (the MiGe motor end) by a wire going to the surface of the connector of the encoder cable that goes into the MiGe. I’ve seen information on the internet where people claim the best practice is that the shield is only connected on one side - so my question is - should I disconnect the shield from the motor side and only leave it connected to the surface of the simucube connector ? Is it possible that the way it is connected now it is creating ground loop or some other problem? What is your advice ?

Connect the shield on the Simucube end only, see if that works for you. Otherwise you will create a ground-loop that might lead to the issues you are experiencing.

As another bit of advice, try grounding all points on your sim to a single star-point, not all over the place. This is quite common practice where we deal with high EMI in industrial environment.

Maybe here’s a good basic read I found quickly, I am a bit lazy to type something up myself, but anyway, this will provide some good info: Basics of Grounding or Earthing | Beginners Electronics

Thank you. I will remove the shield connection on the motor side and see if there is any improvement and I will report back. I wonder why the stock cable for the MiGe comes with both sides of the shield connected if that is known to possibly cause issues ?

Do you have any ferrite cores on the motor phase wires? I think VRS puts one that fits into the Mige connectors, where as Simucube 1 OSW kit builders often shipped without any ferrites as the system does work usually work well without them.