SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread 3

That sounds familiar.
I am sure Mika knows. :wink:

Better FFB or more profiles? This is the q. For me always better FFB. I can live with one profile per game/simulator, no problem at all.

If I understand Mikaā€™s earlier posts in November, his work on the firmware will not result in better FFB we can feel.

I donā€™t think, that we get better FFB because, its perfect.
Maybe more effects like feeling/simulation of gear drive or something like this.
Thats my default. All FFB, what i get, its from simulation.

really?
do you play iRacing?
So you would have 1 profile for all cars?
Try driving say the Cayman GT4 or new TCR cars, then see how that profile feels for the Dallara IR18.
You would be constantly having to adjust the max overall strength in the SC, unless you are ok with changing Nm settings in iRacing to values higher or lower than 45-65Nm, which means a lot of what you think is FFB is actually just useless data chatter.
But if you are happy, then more power to you.

For everyone else, this is not likely to work if you actually want to feel the differences in cars on iRacing.

1 Like

No, i gived up iRacing.
The FFB was very terrible for me.
So i using this time R3E and ACC.

Thatā€™s actually how I use iRacing. I donā€™t even change any FFB settings between cars (not in iR and not in the SC2 software). I also never changed any settings back in the Argon/MMos or SC1 daysā€¦

Not sure why I would even WANT to change anything - unless youā€™re trying to race with a wheel of the wrong size. The 25Nm available pretty much cover anything you throw at them - given that you use different wheel rims fit for the task.

1 Like

For me, specialy for iRacing, Recon 4 and the force can be adjustet a little.

Hello @Mika
Any news for an update for simucube 1? :wink:

1 Like

No news, I have not been at home for the holiday weekends, and afterwards some family matters have taken priority. I will be late next month when Iā€™ll be able to continue on itā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m planning on buying the ioni pro / simucube, a big plus for me would be able to contribute to the firmware and be able to tinker with the firmware, maybe doing some cleanup (Iā€™m an experienced c++ dev). I also looked at OpenFFBoard (this is a project on hackaday.io), but the electronics and building of hardware required just takes too much time for me (also Iā€™m not a hardcore pcb / electronics guy).
But low level software/firmware development is already native to me. Therefore the simucube is a good candidate to do that.
However :-), I read back the threads about already moving the firmware development into open source a few times, without a lot of involvement and therefore pulling it out of open source. Iā€™m not sure how much I can contribute, but would it be possible to at least have the latest open sourced firmware version available, or is there someone who still has a copy? I believe it is version 1.0.23, right? So I can start have a look into it.

ā€“
Bjorn

Hi,

As the firmware has already been cleaned up for our Simucube 2 product, we see no value in cleanup of the old firmware code base. The new code base we cannot release to open source due to contractual reasons.

Keep in mind that and that Simucube 1 product is soon 5 years old with steady and quite steep decline in sales, and that the code parts with Simplemotion communication methods with IONI servo drive, STM USB interface hacks for the old version of the STM32 HAL, the IONI servo drive source codes themselves, and the PC-side Configuration Tool have never been open sourced. So just releasing the HID firmware side would not really open any benefits for development as such.

It would really need be a larger community that would request us to put the old code back online.

That makes me sad, but when we are looking at the ā€¦0.40, its complete funktional and we also have recon and sfr. So, its very nice software and some features, that we can have, are no must have important to survive.

Thank you till now! My SimuCUBE1 are over 5 years old and it so nice, that i cant change to SC2 because it dont make sense to invest so much money for a very little bit better.

Slight update: I still have the Simucube 1 development setup on the table at work and at home. However, there hasnā€™t been time to look into porting the new firmware at all due to family matters in the last 3 months. The situation is not going to change any time soon either.

So far we havenā€™t gotten any questions or support requests about the Simucube Button not working in Simucube 1. Also, the Wireless Wheel Module v2 has been delayed in production - difficult times in the world! So the window where the new firmware could be of use for Simucube 1 is not right now either.

2 Likes

Might be the perfect time to work on SC1 while there are delays on other products. :wink:

Sorry I had to do it! :slight_smile: LOL

4 Likes

Hello
Any update coming for sc1 ?

Not working on anything official at the moment.

My Saturday new firmware porting project has hit some issues and Iā€™ve also had sim racing to do on Saturdaysā€¦

3 Likes

@Mika Iā€™ve been following this potential firmware update for several months now. also, understand that the old SC1 and osw based kits are of low priority but has any progress been made on this for the future?

Thanks a bunch for your time and dedication to the community

1 Like

Unfortunately my private life and weekends have been booked for other things and occasional sim racing for the first half of the year. I intend to have a look at the firmware again soon. But it is completely unofficial development.

4 Likes

remember: you have to finish first to finish first :four_leaf_clover: