SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread 3

Hi Mika,

Thanks for your work.
Is there a possibility to resize the window, and save it for the next startups ?
At startup the window takes all the screen (height 100%)

What is your display resolution?

The remember window position and size -functionality is on todo list, but lets see when we can implement it…

Thanks Mika
My screen is Full HD 1920*1080

1 Like

It will be included in the next release.

2 Likes

Thanx Mika. Really appreciated.
Maybe a simple fix could be to set the default size of the window at 80% of full hd resolution (height)

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

Hi guys, if I don’t want to disrupt at all the steering range by bump stop what is the best setting? My steering range is e.g. 420, How to set the bump stop? 420 as well or e.g. 422? To set the bump stop was always a pain with SC1, I didn’t realise my bump stop setting was wrong for long time (I had narrower turning range of the wheels), not good for the rally cars and influences the times but looks like it is fixed now with the new firmware. Thanks Mika!

Hello Mika, is there any news?

2 Likes

Hello,

Is there any way to have access to a snapshot of the latest open source’d files? (Dec 2020?)

I can only find outdated forks on github (Aug 2019).

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi,

Unfortunately not. But we can always discus on private on what the need for that would be.

I’m just having saturday night beer with doing some minor SC1 stuff on my free time, lets see if this leads to anything…

6 Likes

plz plz plz praying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m just having saturday night beer with doing some minor SC1 stuff on my free time , lets see if this >leads to anything…

Mika: Where i can send more beer for evenings?

1 Like

I was wondering what kind of updates are coming for our Simucube 1…??? In terms of software, what are the main differences between SC1 and SC2…??
Thanks,

1 Like

we are working on a minor software update. Beyound that, we are also thinking on what can be done on that hardware, as the firmware is quite a bit different already compared to what we have on Simucube 2. No decisions have been made.

2 Likes

OK Mika…, understood… No complaints with my old SC1 so far, but do you think it will be worth to update it to SC2 in a medium term…???

2 Likes

@Mika Sorry for asking so bluntly as I only flew over the 100+ posts in here:

What’s the current state of the SC1 OSS FW? Is there any sense in trying to maintain it as a 3rd party / is there anything the OS community can provide in terms of help?

I’m kind of still stuck on the SC1 platform (or better: no platform at all currently :joy:) and a bit torn between abandoning ship and going with something much simpler or re-investing time and budget into (what frankly from speed-reading 100 posts looks like a dead-man-walking) platform to get that DD feeling again…

1 Like

Hi Bernhard,

We tried to get open source community to get interested - on our terms:

• We had to supply some tricks with IONI servo drive and also the USB platform as closed-source precompiled binary
  • IONI firmware and thus most of the FFB filters were not open sourced.
  • Our PC application was not open sourced, as we wanted to have this as a real product with consistant user experience. Giving support was only possible for the PC application and features that we and our partners/resellers know about and that we can control.
  • All additions were supposed to include a clause in the Pull Request about agreeing on the terms that we ourselves could use any developments in Simucube products as well (and not just in the open source firmware).

Over the years 2018-2020, there was slight interest, mainly from some parties that wanted to implement some strange features into the firmware, such as implementing non DirectInput way of controlling the position of the wheel via a custom spring effect, driven from Simulink/Matlab or similar framework. Mainly we steered those requests towards implementing that via SimpleMotionV2 API instead, as it makes no sense to do it via USB HID interface

We also moved on from the build system that we used for early Simucube 2 development to another build system and also stripped all #ifdef simucube2 … #else#endif stuff away from Simucube 2 firmware - too much hassle to maintain compatibility for both platforms in single code base with quite hardware-dependent style of code. So Simucube 1 firmware was left on the sideline with, for us, non-standard build system as well. But we have kept in it in a state that it compiles, and we can cherrypick stuff from Simucube 2. There is even a firmware release that we should make quite soon. But we dumped the possibility to share precompiled libraries, that required just so much manual work and testing for deployment.

So in short, there was no real open source interest at all, so we took the repository away from Github.

What I’m right now doing on Saturdays, is porting the Simucube 2 firmware 2.0 onto the Simucube 1 platform. It is on sort of a backburner now, as doing any large things for Simucube 1 is not commercially profitable for us any more. But it is satisfying for me to just jump around in the code to find things that are broken and need some attention. Especially now that it was not me who did the most work for the firmware 2.0 so I do not know how some of the parts work.

But looks like the new firmware, if deployed on Simucube 1 units, would need bootloader update as well. We could spend a week or two on just writing a rock solid updater app that updates the bootloader. Or we could offer it as a DFU mode update. In both cases, people would loose their profiles, though. And both would cause large amount of support overhead for us. No firm decisions made so far about how we would make this affordable for us…

6 Likes

Thank you for that extensive write-up and background info! :slight_smile:

1 Like

update:

[100%] Linking CXX executable I:\firmwaret\simucube-fw-master_sc1\SimuCUBE-release-binaries\SC1FW_HID_Bootloadable\SimuCUBEfirmware.elf
[100%] Built target SimuCUBEfirmware.elf
Build finished

todo: add ioni stuff, such as

• check that servo drive init code works with IONI (Simucube 2 is different)
  • sending and applying a drc file from pc
  • add various centering modes that are not in Simucube 2
  • absolute encoder calibration. options:
    • add feature to fw (it is different than in Simucube 2
    • OR remove it from PC app and add a note to use Granity instead
    • OR implement it to PC app to work over USB somehow
  • add method to detect & use the Wireless Wheel module
    • do not try to use it if it is not detected
    • add detection code
    • pipe debug outputs to different COM port hardware on the microcontroller (they use the same on SC1 by default)
  • Re-implement support for encoders on the X12 connectors
  • Add profile management

… so long way to go. My Saturdays will be spent on other things for a month or so :frowning:

5 Likes

Once ready, let me know, I will revert back to running SC1 on bogeyman for a while.

3 Likes