SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread 2

Hello,
I have a Simucube small mige + sincos encoder for about 3-4 years. Last firmware before update : 0.50.4
I have noticed that i have to center the wheel at each startup since i updated to 1.0.22/1.0.23 (a diff of 7-10 degrees each time)
I tried the “Configure Motor, encoder and Center Point”, “just set wheel center”, “set permanent wheel center”, but doesn’t resolve the problem.
Before update i just had to power the simucube with the wheel almost centered and i never had to recenter the wheel.
Sorry if i missed something or if you already explained how to resolve it

1 Like

I will try to repeat the issue, and already had a look last week. I was not able to repeat it yet.

I am watching an iracing streamer called Quirkitized (Tyson) and he also has to recenter his wheel every time after the latest firmware.

Just to mention I also have experienced this.

1 Like

I texted Quirkitized on Discord and he confirms he has same issue as @dturb.

Thank you all for your reports.

I had a spare moment to analyze things.

Does your Desktop Centering Spring Strength slider also turn back to 0?

@Mika - noticed a couple of times today these tiny losses of FFB, almost like a graphical ‘stutter’ but very deadly when driving a car!

What’s also very interesting is that when I open the config tool, it often shows ‘disconnected’ until I move the wheel. Almost like how you might a wheel in sleep mode to wake up.
Curious that I’m having these micro drops in FFB and that the Simucube tool shows as disconnected until the wheel is moved, isn’t it? Coincidence?
I’m going to roll back to 0.54 to see if it is resolved.

EDIT:
Dang it, I can’t go back to either of those versions from this FW?
Says it’s too new?
I think I recall seeing some method to roll back but not sure where

Granity is used to tune the servo drive. It is not used for firmware updates.

You can downgrade the servo drive firmware with it, but the minimum supported version (which is at the moment the latest released version) will be immediately updated back by Simucube.

Because the minimum supported version requirement of the IONI servo drive firmware was met. The latest Simucube firmware only supports the latest IONI firmware version. Updates to the minimum required version are transparent and done automatically.

That method has never been supported officially and has been removed.

You can but older configuration tool will just say the running firmware on Simucube is too new.

The check that 0.x can’t connect to 1.x, 1.x can’t connect to 2.x etc. has always been there.

Yes, there are very very old firmware versions where the configuration tool does prompt to update. But such updates or downgrades are not tested officially. I can’t recommend any such fw downgrades at the moment due to insufficient support resources. Some of those steps will result in bricking the device, requiring users to use dfusedemo and such tools.

Back to you, after the above distraction.

Does not sound like a firmware issue to me. You can add the fwdowngrade parameter to 1.0.x shortcut, then quit when it says “Found Simucube in Firmware Update Mode” and then launch 0.11.2.

The old firmware will detect too new settings data on memory, and will reset all settings. You will need to configure the system again by running the motor configuration wizard. You can use the settings in IONI drive, no need to upload any DRC file.

Note that the above can’t be done in 0.50.x versions due to unrelated issues in those firmware versions.

Thanks Mika.
Figured it out and back on 0.11.2
Haven’t noticed it since, but as you say it could be something else so only the coming days of use will tell.
Any thoughts on what could have caused this if not the FW?

Maybe Windows has had a change or something. The 1.0.xx Simucube firmware has the same USB interface code as Simucube 2. If there was a generic issue, there would be many reports by now.

Mika away from rig till tomorrow but will check when home

Hi Mika,
Thanks to analyze things.
The value of Desktop Centering Spring Strength stay at 90% for me.

1 Like

How about others who need to always recalibrate center after start? Is it always the same amount of degrees wrong? Is the desktop centering spring always 0% even if you set it at different setting and saved?