SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread 2

Thanks Mika!
Hopefully this was a simple fix - I keep forgetting that when Windows installs updates it often checks all these boxes again.
Off to sleep and will try in 4-5 hours.

Do you have a new FW version to test or is it pretty much just going to be a release?
Thank you!

Mika, most of the time it is a similar amount of degrees out, usually around 10-15 degrees. I tried the Desktop centering spring. No the centering spring worked as its supposed to and did go to 0%. This had no bearing on the recalibrate issue as i tried it with and without. Hope this helps. Running a large MiGe with Heidenhain sincos encoder.

Yeah, there is a code that puts the center offset and the centering spring strength to 0 and 0% respectively, and I wonder whether that is triggering for some reason when the device starts.

There is no version to test, and likely the next release will be straight to public.

My recentering issue was 10-15 deg off with the new firm, I went back to 54, no issues since. Also experienced connection issues, USB dropping the signal.

How long were these drops? Like a fraction of a second where you can’t turn the wheel?
I was having these too but figured it was a Win 10 USB power management issue.
I’m going to test more today, and if the problem persists, will try 0.54 again.

No mine dropped out and it was permanent, you would get the USB disconnected windows chimes… then lifeless wheel.

and you are still good with 0.54?
That’s interesting as I thought the general consensus was that 0.54 was the more problematic FW than 0.11.2
I was on 0.54 for the longest time without issue - that said I do not think my issues are related to SC FW this time, something going on with Windows or perhaps EMI from my new motion rig (which I have grounded in an overkill way so not almost positive it’s not that).

Im on 54c, it is back to business as usual, no indexing errors, no drops… no issues.
I too have motion and a bunch of other usb stuff, I recently put a pcie usb card in as i got sick of usb related issues, had it about 2-3 weeks without incident, had a problematic upgrade to latest, then issues so rotated back and been fine ever since.

sounds like me! servo actuators for motion, startech PCIe USB 3.0 card with dedicated controller for each port (4) and everything has been good.
If I see the issues again I will try 0.54.
Thanks.

Issues with rare communication error at device start is fixed.

Issue where the centering might go wrong on device start is found, and is being fixed.

4 Likes

It is fixed now. However, the [CEN] Require Software Enable must be turned on in the servo drive settings. Simucube firmware will automatically do it before saving settings to flash, thus all outdated DRC files can still be used as the parameter will be automatically changed to servo drive.

There will be a test version tomorrow. Anyone want to try it? Especially if there were issues with center point.

1 Like

I am ready…

Any new beta testers? Anyone suffering from centering issues in 1.0.23?

I am having centering issues. Each boot, varying degrees of 2% to 8%. Id give beta a go

1 Like

Yes, i am having the same as above, around 2 to 8%

I’ve released the firmware officially now.

6 Likes

Updated firmware to 1.0.24 and initially after rebooting it did not solve it. However, as stated in notes on new firmware, I used reconfigured wizard to set motor/encoder/center point and save to flash memory. After cycle it booted properly, and center appears to be fixed.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Over 1000 posts, with a top Twitch streamer posting “Thank you!”

I guess its time to switch to a new thread!

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/simucube-open-source-firmware-development-update-thread-3/5661/2

2 Likes