Simucube 2 Pro R2?

@Alfye20: I tried to imagine just every situation where turning the wheel in the same direction could lead to more torque - but obviously my imagination didn’t get enough torque. :thinking:
Maybe the Granite guys could shed some light on this.

@KiwiCanuck, @SonnyTron, @M-Bimmer: Just my own thoughts - just got the hardware, only to see them waiting with annoucing new hardware till my bank account raised the white flag. :confused:
I read about hardware changes to adapt to delivery bottlenecks caused by our utmost wise governments, so maybe it’s just a change, not an upgrade. @Mika: Any details? :wink:

Okay, there’s that new single 450 W PSU. Personally, I don’t care too much about this, I am fine with the power reserves and safety margin two 280 W PSUs provide, plus it’s possible to operate the SC2 Pro with just one PSU and lowered torque. So that’s all okay, even if one PSU fails I can happily race on with the remaining one. If that single 450 W PSU fails, race is over.

The more interesting question: Can ONE power supply input of the SC2 R1 deal with the higher amperage of the new 450 W PSU alone - or does the power need to be split between the two inputs?

If I interpreted the picture correctly, the antenna connector moved a bit up the plate. That’s a good thing. German saying: “HF geht seltsame Wege …” (high frequency moves in mysterious ways), so in most cases you won’t need a direct line-of-sight between transmitter and receiver, reflections will get the job done anyway. But free line-of-sight is still always better, even if you take the typical antenna gain over mass into account.
No issue screwing in a slightly longer 2.4 GHz antenna, cheap hardware, walk in the park, I am also pretty fine with the present, not really well-thought-out antenna solution.

So if there isn’t any more improvements with R2, I am real happy to stick with R1.
If. :wink:

Its just a change. I can only think of one thing: If the electronics fail for any reason, the newly designed circuit layout is much more convenient to R&R, which should (in the long term) be also a good investment for the environmental reasons - no need to haul the heavy motor around the world if USB port breaks or something like that.

Your race would be over in either case, as you would probably crash the car in both situations.

We are not sure about this, and need to do some extended reliability testing before we can make the decision to sell the new PSU as an upgrade. For sure we would like to avoid using that splitter cable.

No other improvements.

Not more Torque, but more current delivered because less resistance

Just a sober thought on upgrade path if one supported.
Premium E-Stop is $150 now, and this is just a button.
So I can see custom made PSU of that capacity easily hitting $400 mark.
Is it custom as on Ultimate, i.e. in nice metal enclosure, or just regular plastic brick?

I don’t know those dollar values, but it would be in the high quality PSU prices, approximately double what one GST280 costs. The PSU has plastic enclosure, passively cooled, no fan inside of it. As some have wondered, I don’t think that we have had any intentions to take back power supplies as the material flow is reverse, opposite to what it should be. We are always improving the product in some aspects, software or hardware and implement those changes when it is time to do those. Recently it was time to implement some small hardware changes to the product. Product functionality is unaffected due to these.

The overall product design surely has some headroom in regards to the PSU that is enough to accommodate the small component tolerances that affect the power draw from the PSU.

But no, in standard product there shall not be any unexpected peak forces that exceed any set standard. This is digitally controlled, the wheelbase is engineered to function within set parameters which make it to function so that it will not draw more power from the PSU than is allowed within those set limits. Every product is the same in these regards and as the user is not allowed to fiddle with servo drive parameters that could make it to malfunction in the above suspected way, it will not malfunction. The actual engineering work has been done properly, please be assured of that.

Feel bad,
I waited 3 months for an old version, I could have waited one month more :sueur_sourire:

This is not bad if it’s just double the price of GTS280, which is $96.47 on digikey
Please tell us the PSU to servo cable is longer now and we won’t need extension.

1 Like

they mentioned the new single PSU now has longer cable, i so wish i got the R2 version , only got mine 2 weeks ago, knowing it was right at the time of the switch to R2 hurts the most.

1 Like

Listen guys, this is just the reality of the business Simucube is in, electronics.
They discovered a “problem” and found a “solution”, period.
Now does this mean those of you who have a R1 version are owning a product of lesser quality?
Definitely.
Are they (Simucube) going to share the real reason for this modification?
Of course NOT.

4 Likes

Any idea when new stock will be at the UK stockists? Was going to pull the trigger tonight at demon tweaks but happy to wait a little longer for this update as the longer leads will be useful

Didn’t see that but if this is the case, where can I sign up? :love_you_gesture:
Glad that GD had continued their search for the right single unit PSU, it’s a small thing and does not affect functionality, but make it more consumer friendly, plus longer cable (if that’s a thing), yay.
Please make it available to R1 owners, if possible. :pray:

1 Like

Simucube posted on a Simucube Owners FB page that R2 is shipping with longer PSU cables

1 Like

Just ordered one of the V2’s from Simtech Racing Uk.

Still have to wait 1month for my rim tho :frowning:

My guess for this one is the real reason is to correct a bad Design choice and nothing more… The Dual PSU’s with the short cables are a PAIN… on mine they barely reach where I have to put the PSU’s and it isn’t the greatest setup… So it has been corrected… In my so far testing that is was one of my complaints just on a usability front… But now that it has been fixed it is well not going to be an issue… Of course mine still has the dual PSUs. Would be nice to possibly get an upgrade as a GOOD Y-cable should be able to split the current without issue to the existing dual set-up. But this looks to be basically a fix an opps change.

1 Like

Yes, the power supply was changed as MeanWell was not able to make suitable higher power PSU for us and that they were also long time very reluctant to make longer dc cable for us eventhough they eventually did the longer cable. Meanwell quality is outstanding, but their customization processes are slow or non-existent. No issue using their psu again if they are able to make something suitable/competitve for Pro in the future.

What you say about bad design choise, well, to our knowledge there wasn’t any reasonably priced, reasonable lead time and high quality psu at this power range available around 2018-2019 that we think is high quality and fanless and meets the other mentioned criteria. All known options were around 300W or less and if some happened to be higher than 300W they definitely were not DoE level 6 power supplies, meaning that those cannot be sold forexample in the USA. Dual PSU was the best design at the time based on our criteria and it still works.

5 Likes

Thanks for the very honest sounding explanation.
By the way, I had a lightning strike at my house and it blew up all my electronics, including my Simucube 1. I bought a new Simucube Pro three weeks ago, still with the dual psu, I could have waited.
I understand why people get upset when just bought the “old” version, given the change, they could have waited two more weeks and get the latest version.
Unlike what is common in the world of electronics, those behind the Simucube product don’t feel the need to inform there customer base about upcoming changes.
It happened before, it happened now and it will probably happen again.

Afraid that was the only choice available at that time, everyone understood shortcomings, but sometimes you need to compromise to get things moving.

Understood… but unfortunately it wasn’t the best option for convenience but that is one of those things of you have to decide where the compromises are made. ie. something similar to the Ultimates PSU could have been done but it would have cost more…

I agree with all that inconvenience criticism, sure a thing.

But wouldn’t you guys also agree to:

• Having a reliable power supply?
  • Having a power supply up to the task and far beyond?
  • Having a solution allowing you to continue racing if one power supply ever fails?
  • Being able to race now instead of waiting half a year for a one-PSU solution?
  • Having an easily extendable DC end of the power supply with cheapest standard parts available everywhere?

Wouldn’t you? :wink:

1 Like