Simucube 2 on Linux

Deleted regedits from proton prefix, no change in behaviour. Problem seems to be that everytime I start new game, I need to power cycle base and reconnect via Truedrive or else there is no FFB. So meaning that everytime I start new race, Simucube needs reboot to work.

Has anyone managed to do a firmware update through wine?
I updated to the latest truedrive, and it requires a FW update, but my win10 kvm is no longer recognizing the SC2pro when I pass it through. Other devices pass through fine. I’m hoping a new kvm install will help, but it would be nice to avoid windows entirely. Just nervous about the FW update messing up the device if done through wine.

I tried it once with wine but it didn’t work, probably would be the same with kvm. I believe when the device restarts id gets a new ID on Linux level and higher up apps like wine/kvm cannot find the previous anymore, but this is a guess and probably remediable with some research, dunno.

As for me ATM I use a previous version of TD, but yeah, that is somewhat a shortcoming, I used to have dual boot but don’t have anymore, those TD updates where not so common and the current one works perfect, so I don’t really care that much, but if I get a windows on the gaming machine I use the opportunity to update.

Yes, the device will report with different product ID on USB and thus that might need to be added for Linux. Also it presents as a HID device but without a mouse / gamepad / anything else, just a vendor defined reports are specified in the HID descriptor. I don’t know how Linux handles these regarding permissions and such, but writing and reading should work normally.

I’ve been unsuccessful getting the sc2 to work in a win10 vm. It shows up as USB Input Device and fails to start. My HE sprints and my Fanatec shifter both show up as game controllers when I redirect them. This used to work, I used this vm to update the firmware on the sc2 when I first got it.
It also fails to show up in wine/truedrive after a wine update to staging 9.1. Going back to 8.21 fixed that, but I still can’t update the FW through that since it fails to find the device after it sends the command to restart in firmware update mode. I have to power cycle the sc2 to get it to show up again and tell me that it needs to update firmware.
I guess I’ll have to find an older truedrive to reinstall until I can find a win native machine to update with.

Mika, Thanks so much! I went back and re-read your post and realized what you meant about the product ID. I updated my simucube udev rules file adding another line with 0d5e, and the firmware update worked perfectly through wine.

KERNEL==“hidraw*”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“16d0”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“0d60”, MODE=“0660”, TAG+=“uaccess”
KERNEL==“hidraw*”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“16d0”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“0d5e”, MODE=“0660”, TAG+=“uaccess”

1 Like

Same here, on a Simucube sport.

I updated the wikipage to reflect this:
https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Using_Simucube_wheel_base_in_Linux

(I also confirmed that firmware upgrade mode always uses idProduct=0d5e independend of the Simucube model.

1 Like