SC2 Third Party QR mounting, head screw failed

You can try unscrew it by hammering and at the same time trying unscrew using high quality thick tool. This is only way can help you without cutting the bolt :wink: you need an assistant for hammering

Hi @DenzelRacing you could try screw extractors. Iā€™ve used something similar in the past and have worked great
https://www.amazon.com.au/Irwin-Industrial-Tools-53535-Extractor/dp/B00004YOBF/ref=asc_df_B00004YOBF/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341791682102&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14248840304686358258&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9072357&hvtargid=pla-434200247990&psc=1

1 Like

I had difficulties with one out of three bolts, it was definitely loctited while others not. Just applied some heat to the bolt and it get out with very little resistance like the rest.
Heating is the recommended way for breaking up lockite grip.

+1 on the extractor @azerpe recommended. If you go this route, make sure not to skimp on the quality of the tool and use the right size of the extractor: https://www.irwin.com/uploads/documents/18_screw_extractor_selection_guide.pdf
And please use safety glasses, the extractor (as any drilling equipment) can send small bits flying, you donā€™t want those in the eyes.

1 Like

Hand held impact driver with torx head in the socket. Heavy taps with a hand or rubber faced mallet.

ā€œPark Toolā€ or ā€œVarā€ are a high quality tools according to a friend of mind.
But if you know better tool (it was my goal in fact with this post :slight_smile: )

I think It must surely be the best solution ( the cleanest option).
But Iā€™m afraid to break the screw thread ā€¦? insideā€¦:frowning_face:

Thx a lot guys !

maybe, I will try

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a mallet or hammer to tap anything axially - you might damage the servo-bearings. No servo has been designed to take load in the axial direction, so refrain from doing that.

If I were you: I will take a drill bit at 6mm and slowly drill the head off the Allen-cap screw for that one - just drill it enough for the head to pop off, use a good quality hss drill-bit. Then, undo the remaining 2 screws, then remove the wedge-piece.

Now, take a vice-grips and firmly grip/clamp the shaft of the screw which has the head removed, and slowly turn it out in a CCW direction.

Problem solved.

Cheers,
Beano

1 Like

Not a bad idea ! ok.
But youā€™re not a fan of the extractor solution ?

Thx

Extractors usually do more harm than good, plus, if you manage to break that bolt, you will need to look at other options to drill out the stub and re-thread.

The way I suggest has a 99% success-rate, I have used this method very successfully for many years, taking out damaged bolts.

1 Like

Like @phillip.vanrensburg has said, donā€™t use an extractor in that bolt. If the allen key (hex wrench) has not undone the bolt thereā€™s a good chance that the bolt extractor will snap in the bolt and then you really are in a world of pain.

If you can find one easily, you can always try a left handed drill bit when drilling the head off the bolt as it might unscrew when drilling. However, Iā€™d be tempted to find a local engineering shop to tackle this if you have not done this sort of thing before.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry , I leave it now . Thanks for the advise.
Thanks everybody.
A friend of mine might help me with this. For him, itā€™s not a big deal.

EDIT: I will do nothing without my friend (and only if he is enough confident).

1 Like