Linearity of the turn of steering with osw

Hi Mika!
I wanted to ask about the linearity of the turn of steering with osw
Talking with some new osw users they agree that they notice the turn different from other commercial steering -independently of the simulator used-… as if the turn start was slower (less direct) and that produces understeer. I also noticed it and it’s as if there was not the same reduction in the steering of the car than in other commercial steering Wheel.
Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it has already been talked about … but are there any effects or parameters that could control this in simucube?

Thank you and sorry for my English.

SimuCUBE firmware (and also mmos) have linear steering, as it is the type that is found in real life. It helps precision in driving compared to nonlinear steering.

Are you saying that you would like some degree of nonlinear behavior?

Ok … I understand Mika.
Yes, I think that’s what I say. I do not know if I would use it in all the cars, but personally I would like to be able to have the option if that were possible, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the reply Mika, greetings.

Most titles have the option to implement Speed-sensitive steering which, if I understand it correctly, is a form of non-linear steering.

Of course, there is a difference between linearity of steering input and FFB and perhaps that is where matters get confused. The OSW doesn’t compare to the mainstream steering systems due largely to the shear range of FFB it can produce. Most common wheels often perform better with compressed FFB effects in order to convey more effects within a much shorter range. The overall S.A.T. is going to feel more constant with the mainstream wheels.

While some titles have the ability to automatically adjust the steering-lock on a per-car basis, it doesn’t always work properly and 900 degrees can be too much rotation. In rF2 and AMS, I typically use 540-600 degrees and most race cars handle better but, it also affects how strong the FFB comes through in my experience, as well as sensitivity.

1 Like

Yeah, anything can be done, but I think linearity settings for the steering angle would just confuse users and give less realistic experience. Linearity of the FFB signal is something we should try to play with, just a little. When using the reconstuction filter, very small road details sometimes get smoothed out too aggressively, and we’ve been thinking of ways to boost these small details somehow.

3 Likes