SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

If it helps, I could test

1 Like

You can always send download link to me, I can test if I am around. Can do again today!

1 Like

happy to test as always Mika.
I have the 2048 Line SinCos as you know.
Although on 0.10 I have not noticed the offset in center, so perhaps this is related to different encoders?
Sean

Well, if there was something systematic, then it would show up for many users.

SimuCUBE used to (up until 0.9.10 or something) to read back value from IONI that is reset to 0 at the end of the phasing routine. This is exactly the same position each time, if the motor phasing happens in the same motor pole quadrant. Then an offset that user sets via the wizard is applied to this, to get correct center position.

0.10 line of firmware uses a never resetting mode, where the drive resets encoder position to 0 at system startup. It is non-zero at the end off phasing, and also this value is read each time. Then an offset that user sets via the wizard is applied to end-of-phasing value, and all of these offsets are used to get correct center position.

This works the same with every non-absolute encoder, so I wonder where an issue might be.

I can test if you still need someone.

1 Like

Mika I can test tomorrow on what ever encoder you need i have a Few here.

Cheers

Regarding the phasing issue, I used to have similar issues.

Prior to 0.10 I would have to set my wheel just a few degrees (say 10-15) to the right before powering on the Simucube and allowing phasing.
If I didn’t I would end up with a wheel that was off center according the Simucube app.
I think the main reason for this was that I had previously changed my rim to a new Ascher Racing button plate and the original center index point that I marked with a sharpie back when I first setup the OSW on MMOs was actually a little offset with the new Q1R.
So, until 0.10 I would have to make sure that the original sharpie mark was set to center, which meant the actual real rim was a little off to the right BEFORE powering up.
I have also changed to SinCos encoder along the way (from the 40K thing I had), so there’s a few variables.

But from 0.10 I can turn on Simcube with my real wheel centered (of course after properly calibrating and saving) and it’s always good.

Now, if I purposely turn my wheel a few degrees to the left before powering on the Simucube, then it’s absolutely off in the Simucube app after phasing.
So that original index point is absolutely important somehow, and I wonder if that’s the issue for many?

Mika - your thoughts on this are appreciated. Your post seemed to infer that the latest FW resets the center point every time, so in theory it should not matter the location of the physical wheel? Unless I am mistaken and not understanding what you meant?
If this is what you meant, it does not work as I described above.

Not that it’s a huge issue. I am in the habit of re-centering my wheel before every power phase, but it’s perhaps important info for you.

If you use Automatic Indexing, then I think it is the case, that the wheel phases within different motor pole quadrant when you turn the wheel that few degrees left. It is a limitation of the system that can not be over come without an absolute encoder.

Aha…and since there’s no practical (FFB driving SIM feel/experience) from upgrading my current 21M rez SinCos to an Absolute encoder other than the ‘inconvenience’ of making sure wheel is straight before turning on, then it’s really no big deal!

Well, strictly speaking, ‘setting’ up you wheel in the Simucube app, should allow the wheel to be reset to center, provided you move the wheel to approximately center position before starting Simucube, should avoid the need to reset the wheel after startup.

This is how it works for me, no issues. Some FW revisions had the issue where this did not work properly for some reason, but the 10.2/10.3 versions are ok…

Cheers,
Beano

Most likely the 0.10.3 release will happen on Monday.

1 Like

Yep, no issues for me either Mika with the test.

v0.10.3 has been released. Link to release is on the releases page.

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

It is the same as 0.10.3pre3 was.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the continued efforts Mika!

Final polish-up of the open source repository setup happening…

1 Like

No issues so far here either. Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

There are now some commits in the open source repository, the rest to follow soon.

1 Like

Thanx Mika!

Top effort and I am sure what many have been waiting for :slight_smile:

Time to close this thread and move on to a new thread!