SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

There are multiple videoes on his Youtube channel, and all of them are also linked on our Games-forum.

1 Like

Thanks, I give them a go. Always interested in settings that others enjoy.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks Beano. I’m looking to source a Kollmorgen of ebay now. Do you have any model numbers
that are known to work with SimCube?

Hi Barry,
I will feedback a bit later!! Are you mainly interested in something like the AKM52 or 53 level of torque?

I could also advise perhaps grabbing on of the larger servos like the 64 or 65 I am using, they allow a lot of headroom whilst still giving some of the dampening I found on the SS2 - a very good compromise between fidelity/response and general feel - even at lower torque levels!

Let me know what direction you’re thinking in and I will get back to you.

Cheers,
Beano

Really great to see Barry here

Hi Barry,

Perhaps this could be useful?

If you want some high precision/resolution encoder to it, try to find a model that has 1vpp SinCos output or a model that has (Hengstler, german made) AD58 BiSS-C encoder. In order to find the right model you likely need to look to the Kollmorgen order codes from the manual to be sure that the encoder is the correct one.

I also had the time to look the review, nice review! Very well made. Hmm… also if you’re looking to buy Kollmorgen motor, it is likely good to source a motor which is not IP65 certified, something like IP54 is enough for (indoor) sim racing. This is likely the reason you can feel some fidelity(?) differences between SS2 and SimuCUBE based system) since the MiGE motors by default have IP65 level protection. The IP65 motors have heavier duty seals around the shaft that may slightly dampen some of the smallest effects to a small degree. Also MiGE 130mm frame size motors have higher inertia than smaller frame sized Kollmorgen motors which also may affect to certain degree to the feeling, ofcourse MiGE also sells smaller frame sized motors that are to my knowledge up to 30 Nm “strong” that could be very similar / identical in feeling compared to AKM5 series motors as their inertia and frame size would be the same. But anyways, difficult to say what is “the best” since one guy says something and the next guy says something else, quite subjective topic, that what technical specifics of a motor makes it very good or the best.

1 Like

I’m running an AKM54K with a AD58 Biss encoder - works flawlessly with Simucube.

AKM 52 or 53 would be enough for me. I have already hurt my wrist and shoulder with the 52! lol Now I am
more careful when using full forces.

Did the 54K have the Biss installed? If not, where did you source the encoder?

I have a 53K with a 40k incremental, Barry - got that combo from Davy Watts, he’s active on iracing, ping him there.

At the least he will be able to help you with a proper encoder and cable/socket if you source the servo with an incompatible encoder.

The 53K is a very smooth servo, it felt about as good with the 40k incremental as my 53G with a BiSS encoder at 4M CPR…that’s how smooth it is.

But you can’t go wrong with any of the AKM servos, if you prefer the 52G or 53G/K, they will all serve you with aplomb…the 53 will allow you a bit more headroom for down the line if ever needed, will run a bit cooler than the 52 as well, but either will work well for your application!

I will be home a week for now and can share my 53K part number, but really, any will do, as long as you can source a compatible encoder from Davy.

Talk soon, I am just about getting in the taxi to meet the Granite Devices team again this afternoon - some hot-lapping is planned, I have to go defend my honor :slight_smile:

Will have to experiment as the opportunity arises. The fact that we all can feel things very differently is a real
thing. I have tried settings that others say are very good, and did not like them at all. And I am sure people have tried my settings and thought the same thing. When I did the DD wheel comparison video I actually had 7 guys drop by and test. None of them liked the exact same settings, and some were very far apart. Very subjective indeed!

1 Like

Thanks Beano, I’ll give Davy a shout. Can he source cables the have the Kollmorgen connectors? Or is there
another source for those? Sounds like a fun afternoon!

Very true Barry, and this changes even more from car to car.
I haven’t ever used a KollMorgen motor (way more than I was ever really willing to spend), but the thing that solidified the small MiGe for me (back then it was a 10K rez encoder - currently 2048line SinCos) was Jason Jodarski’s feedback.
He’s a guy that’s built, setup and tested perhaps more OSW variations than most of us and he had the choice of the KollMorgan or small MiGe with Simucube (MMOs at the time), and said he far preferred the small MiGe.
I’ve tried the large MiGe, and there’s just something about the small MiGe that hits the sweetspot for me.
I don’t need 1:1 forces - even with the small MiGe it’s just too much, and if I want to know what a John Deere tractor with broken power steering feels like, then I am sure farming simulator can fulfill that for me!
I know many can’t tell the difference between the 10K res encoder and the 2048line SinCos (21M rez), but I absolutely can. It may not be necessarily that the tracks and road surfaces are vastly different, but I have been able to get much more information regarding the car when it’s close to the edge of traction, and I’ve been able to catch potential race end events that I would never have been able to do before.
I know an Australian iRacing member who is one of the fastest guys around and wins over 60% of every official race he enters. He recently moved from a very expensive KollMorgan setup to a small MiGe Simucube - go figure!

What Mika, Beano, Tero and BSohn and the Granity guys are doing is truly amazing, and I can’t wait to see their success in the more mainstream DD world - it’s plug and play, and if you are in the $1-1.5K market there’s nothing that comes close, often at much higher $'s.

Amazing what they have done and continue to do.

Great to have you here Barry! Always loved your very unique Youtube stream. As something with an insatiable need to understand what makes things work, you satisfy many of my OCD needs!

Welcome!

He can provide the correct cables/sockets/pins etc, Barry, he’s got good connections somewhere in Kollmorgen I am sure :slight_smile:

Let me know if you don’t get sorted though, I will do my best to help!!

Some time ago Sam Maxwell had a Kollmorgen 54 Simucube system for sale on the iRacing forums. It was a beauty with his custom case and mount. It was way above the allowance my wife gives me…but I remember it being reasonable for Kollmorgen…might buzz him, Barry. At the time he was upgrading to some 60 nm monster Kollmorgen. He might be in a body cast.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3576856.page#10762424

It’s an older post than I thought. But Sam never marked it sold…

Others have answered better than I can already. But yes it came with the biss installed. Simtronix/Davy is the man to contact!

Great, thanks for the info guys!

It was sold. I think to Australia.

Status update: Should have some progress after a while. Today, tested the DRC file upload, and it works. I wonder what makes it not work as reported. However, found and fixed a related bug, where the motor configuration wizard in some rare circumstances made it possible to proceed past the initialization page while the motor was not ready.

3 Likes