Assetto Corsa and SimuCUBE

so does that mean that ioni firmware 1.6.1 dated 30.8.2017 ver code : 10601 , works with the regenerative resistor driving algorithm always on ? i want to test something.

There is always some algorithm driving it, otherwise the transistors would burn because of overvoltage generated by the motor.

The algorithm was totally changed in 1.6.30 beta, people complained that it hurt the feeling, and we mixed them so that only the very extreme case would use the new algorithm.

We do not recommend testing anything crazy with earlier versions. SimuCUBE firmware will also overwrite the version on IONI if it is too old.

i am aware of both your points. i would have downgraded simcube to earlier version that uses former ioni firmware. Thanks for your input,

Of course it would be interesting to know what you are going to test and how, and what the expected result will be. We should verify that you won’t run into any hardware reliability issues when testing old IONI firmwares.

I’ve just done couple days of testing BISS-C encoder! Got to say its the same awesome feeling like when I’ve upgraded my rigs from 10k to sincos. It provides much more surface information and wheel rotation especially when returning to center from slides is a lot more realiastic. Overall the whole driving feel is getting more and more refined and I cannot be happier for all the work it has been done by @Mika and others in the process.

Relating to my last post about ffb tweaks I started using 4700hz on 10k encoders and sincos, but biss-c has a lot more to offer in the whole feedback range so I changed it to Unlimited. All other effects are disabled except from friction at 0.50 or 1.00… still havent decided on that. In game all dampings at 0.00 and overall feedback 32%.

If you have some questions and Im not replying here you can reach me quicker on facebook - “LAR555”.

5 Likes

Everyone has a different experience with hardware based on their individual setup, simulator choice, driving style, etc, but note that per Tommi there is no difference between simcos and BISS-C other than it not needing a phasing period. I wonder (suspect) that most of your improved feeling is from other settings like switching to Unlimited or other simucube firmware/in-game options, or the all-powerful placebo + additional experience and testing evolving your interpretation of FFB.

There’s a lot of technical info in that thread beyond the abilities of my meager brain chemistry, but the idea that there is as significant of an incremental step from sincos to biss-c as with 10k to sincos seems unlikely.

I know what you mean and thats what I always suspect… But I have rigs with 10k encoder , Sincos and bissc standing side by side and a few racing drivers that I’m coaching approved my thesis over the last.few days… The most significant diference in feeling that you get instantly is the amount of infirmation to the wheel you get from the road. I always test the cars and force feedback on Nordschleife. On the last straight when you’re full throttle let go the wheel and there is all the difference crystal clear between all three encoders even on the same ffb settings.
And then all of the sudden drivers who were always a bit slower in reactions can catch porsche cup slides (like they do in reality) which was almost impossible until this day.

I guess I’ll have to make a comparison video to tell you exactly what I mean :slight_smile:

LAR555

4 Likes

LAR555, have you tried unlimited with the SinCos, wouldn’t going from 4700hz give you this anyway?

a) ok I’m jealous now - when should I come over to drive myself?
b) video would be interesting - I know Barry R did a video on the hardware update, though I’ve not had a chance to watch it as yet.

I’ll give your settings a go. remember trying a while back and not matching my style, but not feeling the vibe with my current setup for some reason - too many firmware changes, tweaking, etc it’s easy to lose your baseline.

Thx LAR555. I had that horrible 99% CPU warning msg and red lights jump as well. So annoying, I had that problem even with TBW 220Hz, and I just copy your settings and no more warnings! Looks like GAMMA VALUE=1.0 or/and DAMPER GAIN=0.0 fix that problem. I can set TBW even unlimited and all is fine. FFB is great now, no more half rate FFB settings. Now I have also more FPS. That CPU warnings was not a SimuCube or EMI problem, but bad Assetto Corsa settings. Easy to fix now. Thx again LAR555.

1 Like

Damper Gain = 0 has fixed my 99% issue too.

I’ve had this problem for 2 years and gave up trying to fix it.

Cheers

Yeah mate, it was so annoying and look how simple it is to fix… Good to read this forum. LAR555 is a Star, not me. Thx again LAR555. Probably many ppl still don’t know how to fix that, tell others about that pls. Good news is… it was not a SimuCube soft/firmware fault. Guys from Granite are absolutely fantastic. Simucube is getting better and better every few days/weeks. Unbelievable.

Wow. Using LAR555’s tips and settings have transformed AC on my large Mige. The FFB is now almost on level of Automobilista, even if the driving experience isn’t quite as good. Gonna finally spend some time in AC and learn it. Thank you.

I’m using LAR555’s settings but I seem to keep getting an overcurrent issue (442001) at 50 gain in AC. I have a small mige setup and really enjoy it. Anyone experience this?

Fault is below:

[X] Initialized
[ ] Error recovering
[ ] Tracking error warn
[ ] Target reached
[X] Enabled
[ ] Run (drive active)
[ ] Homing active
[X] Braking
[ ] Permanent stop
[X] Voltages good
[X] Fault stopped !
[ ] Ready for use
[ ] STO active

[ ] Tracking error
[ ] Over velocity
[ ] Hardware
[ ] Over temperature
[ ] Feedback
[X] Over current !
[ ] Internal comm error
[X] Power stage forced off !
[ ] Under voltage
[ ] Over voltage
[ ] Motion range
[ ] Firmware error
[ ] Init
[ ] Motion
[X] SimpleMotion !

What caused this fault?

Fault location ID1 442001 (info)
Fault location ID2 0 (info)

! = reasons for inactivity[X] GPI 1
[X] GPI 2
[ ] GPI 3
[ ] GPI 4
[X] GPI 5
[ ] GPI 6
[ ] HSIN 1
[ ] HSIN 2
[ ] ANA1 as digital
[ ] ANA2 as digital
[X] ENC A
[X] ENC B
[X] ENC C
[ ] ENC D
[X] Hall U
[X] Hall V
[X] Hall W

[X] Soft enable
[X] Phys enable
[ ] Pos feed enable
[X] Neg feed enable
[X] Home switch
[ ] Clear faults

Analog in 1 1.40 V
Analog in 2 0.00 V
Analog Enc A 1.24 V
Analog Enc B 1.22 V

HV bus voltage 47.7 VDC
Device temperature 24 °C
Actual current limit ±5.0 A
Last limit reason Settings
Output current -0.00 A
Velocity feedback -0.000596 r/s
Velocity feedback (raw) -1
Position feedback -0.0611711 r
Position feedback (raw) -256570
Setpoint value (raw) 0

Debug 1 3271
Debug 2 2905
Debug 3 9504
Debug 4 12913
Debug 5 800
Debug 6 -1

Parameters

| GCFWVER=10706 | HWTYPE=11201 | HWSERIAL=112014436 | BUILDREVISION=6e20c9a
| CEI=2 | UID=2a3bf4e7 | SMO=0 | TRF1=0
| TRF2=0 | TRA1=0 | TRA2=0 | MPP=470
| NOTCHFILT=655616 | TED=0 | TEF=0.4 | TEI=0
| SERIALENCBITS=22 | COMMUTATIONCFG=0 | HAO=0 | FBR=1.04858e+06
| FBD=5 | FB2D=0 | TBW=11 | KVP=2200
| KVI=30 | KPP=50 | VFF=0 | AFF=0
| PFF=85 | CM=2 | MT=3 | AD=0
| FLAGS=131100 | MMC=5 | MCC=5 | FOC=3
| FOV=50 | FUV=20 | FPT=1000 | FVT=100
| FEV=10000 | FMO=0 | LSF=0 | AXS=1
| AXT=3 | FFT=0.1 | TSR=199 | TCH=64
| TTR=1 | TBT=0 | CRI=3 | DIV=50
| PIF=2500 | MUL=50 | CAL=32 | CSD=10
| CVL=1400 | CRV=100 | MR=2.905 | ML=9.504
| MTC=500 | MPC=8 | MMS=1000 | CAO=0
| HOMING=0 | HMV=100 | HMA=10 | HMH=500
| HMT=1 | HHL=0 | HLL=0 | HMF=0
| HSA=0 | HSS=0 | overrideAddr1=0 | overrideAddr2=0
| overrideAddr3=0 | overrideVal1=0 | overrideVal2=0 | overrideVal3=0
| BED=1.5 | BER=0 | BDD=16 | CAPS1=6.29143e+07
| CAPS2=16287

Set mmc at a value of 12.86 or smaller but not same with mcc. Set foc at max. Do you know what encoder you are using?

Hello guys long time no see :slight_smile:

I am glad many of you are enjoying my settings!

Sorry for my absence from the forum but real racing season has started and most of my work with drivers moved from the simulator to the track.

I am back with some new findings that I’ve made in assetto corsa files and I am using the latest simucube build 0.9.10 with 10706 ioni and BISS-C encoder. I think I read that @Mika introduced some new algorithms for Friction and if I am not mistaking it is now using friction with some damping??? If I am right then I have mixed feelings about it because it feels like this change introduced some fake “bumps” when turning the wheel and friction is working… but it is very minimal or maybe even the placebo :slight_smile: I always look for the wheel to feel as smooth as possible because in reality the wheel has constant “rubbery” feed of power/information from the tires to the wheel.

Settings:

I have left everything at 0.0 for dampening gains and etc that you can find in my posts above but I went into the physics.ini and ff_post_process.ini to make some changes.

Physics.ini file in the assetto corsa/system/cfg. I made these changes and I think I have managed to make my wheel have a better and more consistent feed of information from the tires. Secondly, I hate that the wheel has some movement in the middle when you are holding it straight and going 200km/h…that is unbelievable because in reality the faster you go - the stiffer the wheel gets. I think this has also helped me to reduce that loss of power in the center.

phyysics

I have also enabled gamma since it kind of provided me with the similar feeling that I have mentioned above to find some power in the center… Especially when returning to the center position when exiting the corner to the straight.

physics

Simucube settings did not change much I just started using less friction because of the reasons mentioned above and I hope I could loose this effect for good, but then the center of the wheel is too loose…

If you have any urgent questions you will find me quicker on Facebook - LAR555 :wink:

10 Likes

Enable=1 with gamma=1 and Enable=0 should have the exact same outcome.

I guess everyone has to try and share their experiences :wink: I am experimenting myself…

That is why i shared it with you so that you can try it aswell and verify it for yourself.

I have tried everything… I’ve got 5k hours on assetto :smile: